The Doors. (Wall openings not music group)

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

michaelskis

The Doors. (Wall openings not music group)

Post by michaelskis »

Our house has 4 exterior doors. A main set of double doors that leads out to the front porch (on the driveway side of the house) one in the back facing the garage, and two on the side of the house going out to a massive side porch. Each of them are 8 feet tall and none of them have transom windows above the door and while most are in good condition, back door is the exception. It is warped and full of plugs as the location of door handles and locks have been moved several times throughout the 120 years, and it leaks air so bad, I put weather stripping on the door and the door jamb. The other part is it has no windows in it at all.

Living in a historic district, the odds are we would have to replace like for like if we wanted a new door, but we would love to have something with a window in it. The other difficulty is the height of the door. I know I could have the door pulled apart, sanded, repaired, and reassembled, but the cost would be insane. I will try to get a picture posted soon.

What are your exterior doors like? Are they full doors or do they have windows in them? Are they a standard height, extra tall, or something strange? Do they have unique features? Anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do about my back door issue?
1890 Edmund Barry House
Heritage Hill Neighborhood
Grand Rapids, Michigan
http://heritagehillhome.wordpress.com/

cs

Re: The Doors. (Wall openings not music group)

Post by cs »

I got a great house era-and-style-appropriate exterior door for our mud room here: http://www.simpsondoor.com/door-products/search/ with real divided light panes and in a wood that matches the trim in the house (all VG Douglas Fir). I've had it for six years now and have been very pleased. The door is fully weather stripped, and the glass is double-paned.

The same company also matched our original interior doors for a number of new ones that we needed for our addition. I would imagine that they could do custom sizes for exterior doors. There is a handy "search by door style" function that could help you on the left side of the page.

The other way to go would be to look for salvage. Sometimes you get lucky!

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com

csnyder

Post by csnyder »

All of the doors on our house are original (including, I believe, the original lock on the front door - on my keychain is an old Corbin key with "Robbins, 7 Ransom" stamped on it - they haven't been there for decades). My house is newer than yours, so the doors aren't nearly as tall - they're closer to a normal height - but the front door is very wide at 40".

All three doors have windows, which makes me nervous - it would be trivial for someone to break in by smashing the glass and turning the lock. At some point, I'd like to replace them with laminated glass - Bendheim Restoration Glass sells wavy laminated glass (though it's probably very expensive).

Two of our doors have interlocking metal weatherstripping that's likely been there for 50 years or more. When we had a blower door test done, I was amazed at the results - our porch door (with weatherstripping) leaked virtually no air, while our back door (no weatherstripping) let in enough air that I could feel a breeze, even though there was also a storm door.

Are you familiar with Pitsch Salvage on the NW side of Grand Rapids? They have a lot of old stuff. I've only been there once, and wasn't terribly impressed, but their stock is constantly shifting.
Chris Snyder, WavyGlass.org

jharkin

Post by jharkin »

When we bought our house both exterior doors were toast... not original they were fake "batten door " replacements put on maybe 20 or so years ago. Just slab doors with fake paneling laminated on. Being limited for time and budget I replaced them with nice Simpson wood exterior doors - 6 panel in front and a 9 lite in back on the addition. These are reasonably style appropriate to the house.

2 years later, the front door already has fine cracks in the veneer. And that's with 5 coats of exterior primer/paint and yearly touch ups. Next time around Im going to hunt salvage yards.

If you can find a salvage old growth solid wood door in a style to match the house grab it... To get something of equal quality brand new will cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$

1880 Stick Victorian

Post by 1880 Stick Victorian »

i know that someone has already mentioned salvage stores...but also craigslist... we found a great four season door to replace the crappy metal kitchen door for $25.00 on craigslist. We have tall doors as well and this one we had to do a little trim on the top about an inch to make it fit.
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880

CycloneOfRed

Post by CycloneOfRed »

Every exterior door on our house are hideous starting-to-rust security doors from the 70s. I'm just now starting to acquire antique doors and hope to start working on some of those facades this fall or maybe next spring.

I've been mainly using e-bay. I've checked Craigslist and some of the local architectural salvage places in the area, and you can certainly find reasonably priced doors there, but E-bay tends to have a greater variety and more ornate doors than what is available locally...although you get a lot of people who must think their doors are made of gold for the asking price.
Laws of Home Repair:
1) It will be more difficult than you think.
2) It will take much longer than you think.
3) Murphy's Law is in effect tenfold.

michaelskis

Post by michaelskis »

Wow, several local responses too...

I think that I might head down to Kalamazoo as they have a very nice architectural salvage yard. When I lived on the east coast, there is a place that has several rooms full of doors, but it would be a 7 hour drive each ways to find one....
1890 Edmund Barry House
Heritage Hill Neighborhood
Grand Rapids, Michigan
http://heritagehillhome.wordpress.com/