Cable and wires on the outside of your house.

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Cable and wires on the outside of your house.

Postby michaelskis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:45 pm

We are in the process of painting right now and my wife was concerned when she saw a large pile of wires in our driveway last week. As part of the painting process, I am cutting all of the cable TV lines and anything else that someone added onto the outside of our house to get the wires up into other rooms. I figure that since we will be doing painting here soon, it is a good time to eliminate everything that is cluttering up the outside of the house.

We don’t have cable TV and our internet is from a high-speed DSL. We have wireless in our house and with the changing technology; it is likely that everything will be going to a cat6 cable in the near future.

Do or did you have wires and cables on the outside of your house from technology ‘upgrades’ or were all the wires run in the walls? Have you since cleaned up the exterior stuff on our house or have you taken to other methods to hide the wires?
1890 Edmund Barry House
Heritage Hill Neighborhood
Grand Rapids, Michigan
http://heritagehillhome.wordpress.com/

michaelskis

Re: Cable and wires on the outside of your house.

Postby GothicHome » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:59 pm

I have only two Systems running along the out side of my our home now. An old twisted pair telephone wire (still live) and an old flat wire TV cablel going down the tower and along The wall entering threw a basement window. This line is no longer in use though.
GothicHome

Postby nezwick » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:03 pm

I am very fortunate that my current house does not have any wires running along the exterior (but then again, there were never any televisions/phones upstairs anyway). This is a major pet peeve for me, so I would have already ripped it all off right after moving in, believe me. Utilities strung all over the outside of the house is the sign of lazy installers and all too common on houses that are/were rentals or multi-family. Sometimes there are several generations of abandoned cables that the owner/landlord never bothered to remove. Several of the houses we looked at before buying the one we did were done this way.

The only exception at our place was the telephone service (which was prehistoric but still in use) though it only ran a couple of feet between the exterior demarc and where it entered the house through the wall. Immediately after we moved in, I cut it all out and had the telco remove our service drop. The PO had a landline telephone, but I never will.

However... since I have no hollow walls in my house (exterior and interior walls are solid planks) running cable upstairs will be a challenge if I ever choose to do so. Regardless, I'll come up with some creative method to get the cable upstairs through the interior instead of making it visible on the outside.
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web
nezwick

Postby barrett » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 pm

How about this mess? I removed a bunch of old cable and phone lines when I recently repainted. I will also remove a few junction boxes and more phone lines when the phone company ever finishes installing fiber optic. And yes, they ran all the lines outside the house. Some are even inside pvc pipe screwed to the siding, for some reason.

"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Postby brian89gp » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:57 pm

If I'm not currently using it, I remove it. When I had cable installed I told them where to put the drop and to test it from that point, I would take care of all inside wiring.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
-Heinlein
brian89gp

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 am

cable and telephone companies take the easy way out when it comes to installing lines. I currently have one wire left from outside for cable and will have to run the wire on an inside wall as all exterior walls have insulation. It will take some time but i guess this is one advantage to having balloon framing. I am hoping to one day in the next five years to bury the power line from the road to the house...along with the cable.
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby eclecticcottage » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:26 am

I think we had about 5 pounds of wires and cables that we cut off! EVERYTHING was run on the outside, and when it was replaced it was left and new stuff was run. We had the wires/cables from the antenna, cable and dish. We had speaker wire (???) and phone lines. We had some cable that ran the cable from the box to other rooms. ALL on the outside. We have to fill those holes, thanks for the reminder! We also plan to paint, but we cut them all off just because it looked so trashy. We have no land line so no need for phone wires, and cable/internet all comes via one underground wire that comes out of the ground, runs up the side about 1' and goes inside now. LAZY LAZY LAZY! When they ran the wires for the dish and cable at our Old House we were home and didn't let them take the lazy way out, it came down, went under, then up and in. NOT along the outside on our siding!
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby SkipW » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:44 am

I also pulled all of the external phone and cable wires off the house. They ran to almost every room in the house. I ran two new phone lines in the crawl space and cellar to jacks downstairs and we use cordless phones that communicate with one base, the other is for a fax machine.

The cable that was run all over was for cable TV. I don't watch much TV but my wife does so we have one TV in the den and one cable run to there, also in the cellar/crawl space.

Our internet is wireless, and I have the router in the den hooked to the one cable run there.

I wish I could remove the electric/cable/phone that runs down the wall from the weather head too!

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby michaelskis » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:12 am

1880 Stick Victorian wrote:. I am hoping to one day in the next five years to bury the power line from the road to the house...along with the cable.

We are thinking the same thing. Our phone and electric come in the back and our cable comes into the front. Difficult part is there is two of everything. Our house was 4 apartments at one point and the up stairs and downstairs units would share utilities.

We are likely to go with one of each when we burry our lines.
1890 Edmund Barry House
Heritage Hill Neighborhood
Grand Rapids, Michigan
http://heritagehillhome.wordpress.com/

michaelskis

Postby triguy128 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 am

All of my current utilities are buried. I cut and removed all the old cable and some unused electrical lines on the exterior ot some flood lights. I cut down the overhead cable line to hte house and cut it as high up the utility pole as I could then coiled it up and left it there. Our cable company has terrible, terrible service. I'll never us them until they get bought out and a better ocmpany takes over. WHen they do, I'll make them bury hte service.

The only utilities on the exterior I have are a gas line ot the attic for the upstairs furnace and the lineset for the upstairs AC. Both are hidden inside 3" alumminum downspots.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Next

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum