Before and After, Thus Far! (Pictures)

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

nezwick

Re: Before and After, Thus Far! (Pictures)

Post by nezwick »

I would FLIP if some contractor came in and busted up some of my trim. You better believe they wouldn't be replacing any of my heartpine with cheap new pine.

On a happier note, your floors look great. The kitchen floor looks a little too glossy for me, but that's a matter of personal preference. All the rooms look great.
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

The kitchen floors were still wet from being refinished. Not that shiny now.

While investigating around yesterday, I discovered the original beadboard/tongue-and-groove ceiling is intact in the parlor, and most likely as well in the downstairs bedroom. Now I am trying to decide if I want to go ahead and tear out the popcorn ceiling and brave it out to discover what sort of damage/issues lie underneath, or just lie there at night looking at the ceiling dreaming of what might be... decisions, decisions.

James

Post by James »

Looks great. Coming along very nicely.
As for the bead board ceilings, I say go for it, no guts, no glory.
Just consider the stains "character". Like the nail holes in my beams where the Victorian bead board ceiling was removed.
And as for stains, one of my elderly neighbors told me after I bought this place that if I saw blood stains on the floor not to worry about them. Isaiah, the last tenant in this house, used to dress(gut and cut up for those of you non hunters) deer for local hunters who were willing to pay to have someone else do it. And it seems on a couple of occasions if it got cold enough, he did it INSIDE, cannot imagine, and I certainly do not want to.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.