~1680 Home with weird stuff...

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

ripfish

Re: ~1680 Home with weird stuff...

Post by ripfish »

James, As you can see, I am new to the forum, having my first post. Burkes Tavern as it is known, is located about halfway between Richmond, Va and Lynchburg. It is on the National Historic Register. It starte out as a simple tavern to support people traveling to the West in the 1700s. It is noted that the notorious British General, Banastre Tarleton headquartered here on his way to surrender at Yorktown. It is most noted, however, as the home where the last General Officer of the Civil War, General Thomas Smythe of Wilmington, DE died on 9 April, 1865, the day of Lee's surrender Grant.

The old house is a simple salt box, typical of many New England and Souther homes of the period. It has been added on to over the years, especially in the 1900s. It ended up with an inappropriate "Ell" addition to the old salt box. After we bought the house in 1998, our biggest challenge was what to do with the Ell. Since is was inappropriate to the period, and not historical, we engaged an architect who recommended that it be torn down. We did that, and built an appripriate Ell addition, finishing in 2009. We also did extensive renovations to the old historic part of the home. The architect did a great job of integrating the new part with the old. The old house has a lower brick English basement with brick walls almost two feet thick. I had to learn how to repoint using historic lime mortar, and how to do horse hair lime plaster. The house was completely re-wired to code, taking much care to preserve as much of the old plaster as possible. I would say the historic house in 70 percent orignial lime plaster, 20 percent restored lime plaster, and the remainder modern sheet rock wall board. I could write a book on how to repoint lime mortar and plaster. A professional renovator did most of the new additon and work on the old house -- I was the plaster guy! I still have some repointing of the exterior brickto finish.
Side View of new addition
Side View of new addition
HPIM1329.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 3041 times
Burkes Tavern
Burkes Tavern
HPIM1269.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 3040 times
I will try to attach two pictures. The front of the house looks much like it did when it was built. The side view shows the new addition (to the right of th lower brick wall on the Salt Box).

I

ripfish

Post by ripfish »

James, As you can see from my last post, my pictures of Burkes Tavern a quite big. Does anyone know how to insert normal-size pictures on the forum?

James

Post by James »

There are people here who know how to do that. I am not one of them however. Sounds like a great house, will have to pull out my Virginia Registry book, I do have that around here somewhere. That will have one picture a paragraph or two.
Your place is a bit older than mine, not sure the exact date on mine, the original deeds are 1744 and 1749, so anytime after that. Actually the 1744 deed mentions a house so maybe before that, but I doubt it. Tho a house in Edenton that looks a lot like one of my buildings just got dated to 1719 making it the oldest in the state. Certainly nothing in this county is that old. Always love seeing another early southern house on here. Most of the real early ones tend to be in New England on here.
You can find pictures of mine on here in the hangout forum, do a search for James Photo album.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

You need to downsize the pictures on your computer before you post them. Get a free image editing software such as ACDSee (if you use Windows) and scale the pictures to 800x600 pixels.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com