Peg and Hole Joinery

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

lupinfarm

Re: Peg and Hole Joinery

Post by lupinfarm »

Hi James and Ripfish...Thanks for the info on Mortise and Tenon joints. My house seems transitional. That's to say there are
some Mortise and Tenon with those pegs I referred to, some where the Lap joint pieces run Perpendicular to one another with a Peg in them and then just what looks like modern joinery. There are also those square head monster nails and the much smaller nails in the wooden part of the house. Getting the floor done was kinda a rush affair. My hubby got a huge paycheck
just after Christmas due to working what seemed 80 hour weeks for about a month leading up to Christmas. I wasn't expecting to be able to start on the Kitchen for at least another couple of months. Now I am onto all the other "Problem areas" of which
there are many. Some mornings I wake up thinking that I should just cover everything over with drywall and be done with it.
I know I wont be happy though and will be wracked with guilt over passing the problems along to the next owners. I will be posting some pictures in the next couple of days showing the progress so far.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

I'm pretty sure that Sombreuil_Mongrel pegged it (so to speak). To my understanding, this is a technique that was introduced by Architects from Senegal. You see quite a bit of this used in the South.

James

Post by James »

Apparently one major difference in your house and mine is that in mine much of the framing is exposed on the inside. If you look at the pictures you may be able to see that on some of the interior shots. The big corner posts and plates are out in the open and you can see the pegs holding them together, as well as the big posts by every door. The wooden walls are inset inside of those instead of covering them. The Palmer Marsh house down at Bath has the same sort of construction. But its fancier there for sure.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

Even my 1906 "kitchen wing" addition has mortised in 4x4 corner braces and solid corner posts. So if it was traditional to a region like mine, it could have persisted past its sell-by date. The 1850's main portion of my house has studs mortised into the sills and plates, a full braced frame, and (brick)nogging in the stud bays, as well as interior sheathing and weatherboards to the outside.
Most of which date back to medieval times.
Casey