What are these stones in our yard?

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

ReLearning2Live

What are these stones in our yard?

Post by ReLearning2Live »

We own a circa 1817 farmhouse and there are 3 pairs of these stones in our yard. This was an old dairy farm back in the days and we're not sure what to make of these. They are clearly not hitching posts, as there are no rings, but instead bolts through them with what look like hinge posts on one side...also there is a triangle shaped rod on one of them (original location? not known, maybe it was just placed there by the previous owner but found elsewhere?).

PICS!
I can't figure out how to get the pics to show up, so here is the link to my photobucket album :(
http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/twope ... rary/Posts
1817 Quaker Farmhouse on 7 acres - finally making our homesteading dream a reality! Come join us in our adventures :) http://sweetlifehomesteading.blogspot.com

Sacto Diane

Re: What are these stones in our yard?

Post by Sacto Diane »

They look like granite gate posts for a fence long gone.

Diane

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

I agree with Diane about the gateposts. I wondered if the triangle was part of a latch system that would hook over the gate to keep it closed but I think it's a triangle dinner bell for calling your family/farmhands in for dinner. Just needs the clanger/striker rod to make the sound.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

horsevet

Post by horsevet »

Definitely old fence posts with gate hinges

ReLearning2Live

Thanks so much for the answers! Good to know!
I am looking for pictures of antique dinner triangles and not seeing a single other one in the form of ours (with the twist in the top) - anyone know of or have a pic of one that is similar? Anything else it could be?

Thanks!
1817 Quaker Farmhouse on 7 acres - finally making our homesteading dream a reality! Come join us in our adventures :) http://sweetlifehomesteading.blogspot.com

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

I agree with the old fence post idea. The only other thing it might could possibly be would be a place to tie the cow up to milk. We have pictures of my great-grandmother milking her dairy cow near the kitchen door while it was tied to a post. Guess she didn't want to carry the milk pail all the way from the barn. Smart lady! :) As there are several of them, I wouldn't think that would be the case.

As for the triangle thing being a dinner bell, I should think it would have been hard to clang it being up on the stone like that. The ones I have seen on old houses always hung off the porch without anything against them.

Do any of your neighbors have anything similar?

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

When I thought of the dinner triangle, I didn't think that was where it had been located, but just hung up there on the post for a matter of convenience. It probably was mounted on some other post or support. Or in our case, we have one that isn't mounted. I just pick it up and use it, then hook it back.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

ReLearning2Live

Yes, there is another of these stones just like it down the road a bit, but on land that was owned by the same original owner of this plot. It's not in front of the house like ours.
I am confident they are gate posts and the "triangle" I'm still debating...it's heavy! :)
Thanks so much for helping out with the posts everyone!