Gap between siding and trim

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

kellywf

Gap between siding and trim

Post by kellywf »

Hello All, We are restoring an 1880's Italianate house in Wisconsin. We call it a midwest Italianate, but we really have never heard of that style, it just seems to fit the unpretentious version of an Italianate. We have been stripping all of the paint off the siding and S-L-O-W-l-Y painting. We have run into an issue of which we could use some advice...
In some places the gap between the siding and the trim is fairly large... too large to fill with caulk alone.I imagine the gap is due to settling and a poor foundation, I am wondering if others have run into this issue and if so how did you deal with it? Thanks, Kelly
Attachments
siding gab II.JPG
siding gab II.JPG (185.97 KiB) Viewed 7015 times
siding gabI.JPG
siding gabI.JPG (160.29 KiB) Viewed 7015 times

SkipW

Re: Gap between siding and trim

Post by SkipW »

I had similar issues when repainting my 1907 cottage. Luckily for me the siding is shingles so I could simply re-shingle the areas around the problem trim if the trim was good. In some cases though, I just replaced the trim because the shingles were in better shape than the trim. Looks like you have clapboards so replacement of the trim to close the gap might be your easiest bet.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

For large gaps you can use a flexible backer rod. Stuff it in the gap and caulk over it then paint.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O ... 067266-_-N

kellywf

Post by kellywf »

Thanks Matt, I"ll try the backer rod.
kelly