Questions about repairs. Windows, roof, chimney, heat.

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

stario

Questions about repairs. Windows, roof, chimney, heat.

Post by stario »

Okay so I am new to this... love old victorian homes! We are looking to buy one but do not want to be a slave to the house so here are some things we noticed. I was hoping someone could give me an estimate on the following. We would like to get a rough number so it helps with our offer. :D

*please excuse my lack of terminology I am not fluent in house yet :) :mrgreen:

The slate roof is bowing on one side of the second story wrap around porch.

There appears to be some rot on some of the house ( on the side where the roof is bowing and in some of the first story porch pillars.

One chimney is starting to tip to the side an needs mortar.

There is radiator heating. does that need to be replaced down the line?

There are original windows with storm windows... is that a heating problem?

Thanks if you can answer any of these it would be most helpful. :lol:

SkipW

Re: Questions about repairs. Windows, roof, chimney, heat.

Post by SkipW »

Can't even guess without seeing the porch, the rot or the chimney...

Radiator heat is wonderful, have had it in many homes. Always worth having a heating professional check the system.

Please, please keep the original windows...original windows and storms are better than any new window you would deface the house with. In my home I sadly only have two rooms the POs did not change the windows in. They have storms and are the two warmest most comfortable rooms in the house.

I have to assume they kept them because they had storms and were in fine shape. They reused some of the sashes they removed in a breezeway they built (appreciate that they reused them) and they are in OK shape, they just didn't want to do the work needed to keep them.

If your windows need some maintenance, there are pros here on this forum who will gladly give of their time to instruct you on what to do. (if they do not magically appear here...they may be over on wavyglass.org where many members here have migrated)

Good luck with the house and don't assume old is bad...

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford

stario

Re: Questions about repairs. Windows, roof, chimney, heat.

Post by stario »

Great thanks for the information. Yeah... I don't want to deface the house that would not be good. I am going to upload some pictures later today. Thanks so much :)