dcsimg

Log House Restoration

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Log House Restoration

Postby ady5008 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:43 am

Hello, I'm looking at buying an old log house. Very old, definitely pre-civil war, and I would bet it is pre-1800. 1800 square feet. There is an original fireplace in the kitchen as well as one in the basement. Unlike most homes of that era in this area (central Pennsylvania) though, the fireplace is between the kitchen and living room, not on the end of the house. It's going up for auction in the near future. I know without having a contractor actually look at it and give an estimate it's impossible to say exactly, but what would it cost to restore it? I'd be leaning towards stripping all the plaster and wallboard out of the inside and exposing the log walls, stone chimney and log floor joists. Rechink the logs, completely rewire and replumb, put in a new kitchen (the cabinets aren't original) and 1.5 baths, and install a metal roof. There would only be a few internal walls that would need drywall. Barring having to replace any logs what would we have in it if we'd hire it all out? We'd probably do some of the work ourselves but I'd like an idea of the total cost.
ady5008

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum