dcsimg

1794 Porch style and decisions

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

1794 Porch style and decisions

Postby jcotton77 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:14 pm

I purchased this 1794 house four years ago. It is on the NRHP, but has no restrictions. The inside was not kept original, (some hardwoods and the basement are still the same) there are no working fireplaces, etc. The best way to describe it is not modern, but not historic either. The house was purchased by someone to "save it" as a historic property and the work done was a lot of DIY and low budget repair (i.e. let's just paint over that.) The front porch is rapidly deteriorating. BTW the pine tree is no longer there. I can't find any information or photos or sketches of what the original might have looked like (I've been in touch with the local historical society.) I'm considering just taking the entire thing off and putting in a simple set of steps and a Georgian style (?) arch? It's going to be close to $2500 to make a semi decent repair (not even a great repair). And one of my major complaints is how dark the front part of the house is. I'd love some thoughts, opinions, input of other old house lovers. I could not figure out how to post a photo.
jcotton77

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum