plaster vs. drywall

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

SiouxCItySioux

Post by SiouxCItySioux »

i remember sheldon always suggesting that stuff on the other board. i imagine it would probably be like wallpaper that's been painted over. since it's only 4' wide, you would more than likely end up with seams that show somewhere. i'm not a big fan of the way wallpaper looks when it's been painted over.

this is sort of off topic to this discussion, but does anyone have a link to photos of sheldon's house? i seem to remember him saying it was showcased on some television show, but i didn't see the show nor do i ever recall any links to any photos online.

Barbara in Hollywood

Post by Barbara in Hollywood »

Greg,

Nuwall is really meant for whole walls - where there are gazillions and gazillions of cracks....it is expensive for just a few cracks and from what I understand a bit of a chore to apply until you get the hang of it.

For "fewer and farther between" type cracks there is a product based on the same elostomeric bridge type application called Krack Kote. I live in earthquake country and love the stuff. I did a bunch of repairs in my living and dining room 4 years ago and not a single one has reappeared, recracked, reopened ...nothing! And the product looks just like plaster when dry plus is paintable...it's a surprisingly invisible repair. These elostomeric products move and stretch with the seasons and fault movements rather than failing and causing a new crack. I would normally be a die hard advocate for real plaster but I was really impressed with this stuff.

Barbara in Hollywood

Greg

Post by Greg »

Barbara,

How is Krack Kote used? Is it an additive to the finish coat or does it replace the finish coat. How does the cost compare to finish plaster?

Also, to any one else, I've heard others talk about "bonding agents" but I've never seen any thing like this is my travels. I have to buy my plaster from a type of industry supplier rather than a Lowes or HD (we don't have them up here) and so it is not like I can browes through the isles until I find what I want. I have to place an order at a desk and then drive to a warehouse out back. What are some name brands of plaster "bonding agents"? What do I ask for?

Barbara in Hollywood

Post by Barbara in Hollywood »

Greg,

It's used on it's own just to repair cracks in plaster...you use a strip of polyester mesh with it like you would in some regular plaster repairs. Here's their blurb:

"Permanent repair for wall and ceiling cracks. Bridges crack instead of filling them. Requires no sanding. Invisible under paint or wall paper"

Unless you happen to be absolutely brilliant at application (takes a bit of practice) you may have to sand a smidge - I did. It is really invisible....like I said I was impressed.

Here's the link to their website http://www.home-improvement-center.com/ ... -wall.html

Barbara in Hollywood

Paul

Post by Paul »

One other benefit that I have found with plaster is that it seems to dappen sound better than dry wall.

SiouxCItySioux

Post by SiouxCItySioux »

here's some more indepth info on krack-kote:

http://www.tuffkoteco.com/krackkote.htm

Greg

Post by Greg »

Thank you both for the info. Since my walls are the old sand and lime plaster with no skim coat of finish plaster it sounds like I could use Krack Kote on the crasks prior to skim coating with finish plaster.

catya

Post by catya »

Greg, the brand I use is Elmers Pro-Bond concrete bonder ( kinda looks & smells like blue elmers glue) It is sold as "concrete bonder" but label also says for plaster too. Not terribly uncommon, have seen it in smaller neighborhood type hardware stores. Probably can order it on line. Other brands are Plaster Weld and Thorobond.

It really works well, once I actually had to chisel off some plaster I did-- for reasons too complicated to get into here-- it was so well stuck onto the lathe I never really did get it all off.

LorenaBlairBOp

mingle login

Post by LorenaBlairBOp »

An advert for an online dating service has become suspended after its scientific clai

An advert for an online dating service has been banned after its scientific claims were dismissed as nothing but "Fake news flashes,

The billboard advertfor eHarmony touted it uses a "technologically proven matching system,

about the, The advertising and marketing techniques Standards Agency (ASA) Said the service could offer no evidence that customers had a markedly greater chance of finding lasting love.

"This is a new form of fake news that your ASA has rightly slapped down,

The advertising, Placed on a London subway platform, announced: "Step to one side, destiny. it's time science had a go at love,

It continued: "Imagine to be able to stack the odds of finding lasting love entirely in your favour. EHarmony's scientifically proven matching system decodes the mystery of compatibility and chemistry so you shouldn't. Why leave the main search of your life to chance,

The website said it used an algorithm based on scientific theories in the relationship literature of assortative mating that required users to complete lengthy questionnaires to determine their nature, rates, Interests and other causes.

Users were then matched to folks whose responses complemented their own preferences and matched a specific percentage of a list of personality factors that eHarmony determined to be vital in successfully matching people.

The asia me ASA said consumers would interpret the claim "medically proven matching system" To mean that scientific studies had found that the website offered users a significantly greater chance of finding lasting love than what could be achieved if they did not use the service.

It noted that neither of the studies provided by eHarmony revealed anything about the overall percentage of its users who had found lasting love after using to the site compared to other sources.

and thus, Neither study provided insight into the probability of the website finding users lasting love compared to users who did not use the service.

The ASA cited: "Because the evidence provided by eHarmony did not demonstrate that their matching system offered users a immensely greater chance of finding lasting love than what could be achieved if they didn't use the service, We figured that the claim 'scientifically proven matching system' was misleading,

Romain Bertrand, handling director at eHarmony UK, talked about: "EHarmony was conceived on the premise that science and research could be harnessed to help people find love. for more that 17 years, Eharmony has been matching singles into very high quality, Long lasting relationships based upon intricate matching standards designed by PhD psychologists.