Educate me on bungalows

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Educate me on bungalows

Postby txriverwillow on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:56 pm

I read somewhere on here that there are differences between a Craftsman bungalow vs an Arts & Crafts bungalow. Correct? If so, what are the differences? My house almost seems to be a fit as a Craftsman bungalow but before I decide that is what it is, I wanted to really understand the differences.
Image Image
txriverwillow

Postby bookish on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:59 pm

The English Arts and Crafts movement was sort of a look backward, away from the machine tooled Victorian furnishings, etc. The founders of the movement loved old houses and wanted to bring back the old house look and feel into their modern world.
This movement is what gave birth to the Craftsman movement in the US. Here they took some of the basic lines of Arts and Crafts furnishings and took them a step further simplifying them and giving them more of a New World look. Architects and furniture and furnishing designers must have all been reading the same books, because there's a close kinship in Arts and Crafts, Craftsman and Prairie styles.
Generally, Arts and Crafts refers more to interior decoration, but it's also used to describe bungalows. I've seen pictures of almost identical bungalows described as both Craftsman and Arts and Crafts, and this is from books and websites belonging to people or societies who are supposed to be experts.
If I see a Craftsman style bungalow with a little more architectural interest, say a little something extra about the porch columns or a dash of pizazz about the windows, or a soft curve somewhere, sometimes it seems a little more Arts and Crafts looking to me. I see Craftsman as being more about simple, straight, clean lines. Arts and Crafts has some Art Nouveau....well, Art Nouveau is part of Arts and Crafts....
You can take a Craftsman chair, a Mission table, an Art Nouveau lamp and William Morris paper all together and they look just dandy because they're sort of cousins.
bookish

Postby thouser on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:35 am

The Arts & Crafts period was a way of life more than anything. I again must post a few excerpts from Arts & Crafts Homes magazine which I think truly shows the big picture.

"The Bungalow showed up in America in the 1880s, scattered here and there especially in New England. But it was its development in Southern California that paved the way for its new role as a year-round house and turned it into the most popular house style America had ever known."

"The most persuasive voice for reform in residential architecture between 1901 and 1916, The Craftsman mabazine promulgated a message with three major principles: simplicity, harmony with nature, and the promotion of craftsmanship. Greene and Greene themselves might have chanted the words. Their Bungalows, and others in Southern California, were an incarnation of all three principles (given that simple does not necessarily mean cheap). The same could be said of the Prairie style."

And my favorite.

"Keep in mind that both Greene and Greene's Gamble House in Pasadena and a three-room vacation shack without plumbing were called bungalows. And they both affected what the typical year-round Bungalow would look like. The finest examples of Arts and Crafts handiwork found a place in the Bungalow-as did rustic furniture and grass matting."
Thom Houser
Craftsman
http://www.thouser.com
"Let the work be simple and genuine, let it be a genuine
expression of the life which it is to environ"
Charles Keeler
thouser

Re: Educate me on bungalows

Postby jasminsamith on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:36 am

Actually its very nice site! this is my first visit on this site my friend gave the link of this site! and site is really great
jasminsamith

Re: Educate me on bungalows

Postby carlm21 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:08 am

good one ..
carlm21

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum