dcsimg

Wallpaper Paint Wallpaper Paint Plaster

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Wallpaper Paint Wallpaper Paint Plaster

Postby petey1972 on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:38 pm

Hi All - I'm the proud new owner of a 1914 1 1/2 story bungalow and am in the process of restoring its natural beauty.

I've just spent the morning searching out wallpaper paint plaster issues and still have a questions. Here's what's happening so far...four bedrooms and a dining room stripped to beautiful and relatively smooth plaster (8, 7, 4, 3 & 4 layers of wallpaper). I'm feeling quite confident in my score / soak / steam / scrape abilities. Now on to the kitchen. I got right down to plaster no problem on the small section of wall where a refrigerator would go (6 layers). Then the trouble hit. Now I am finding a wallpaper/paint/wallpaper/paint/plaster combo. It looks like the PO tried to strip some wallpaper got nearly to plaster and even to plaster in a few areas then gave up and painted. This paint is uh...rubbery and a huge pain. I'm basically picking the paint off the walls one speck at a time by hand.

Does anyone have any advice?

One idea that DH and I were kicking around but I'm not sure if it would work...wainscot half up the wall then do the top w/ either paintable paper or skimcoat. Would a paintable paper or skimcoat even stick to this rubbery nastiness?

Thanks for any help you can give!
petey1972

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum