metal roof vs shingle

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

jbengoug

metal roof vs shingle

Post by jbengoug »

Hi all
I would really like to replace my shingle roof with a deep red metal roof
however we recd a price quote of can you believe this quote 45,000 for a two story not so steep roof with two small porches incd ripp off two layer replace ect... but I still cannot believe that high quote unreal....
I dislike shingles but that quote of 6,500 is more in out current budget......

current project complete... total attic reinsulated knob and tube cut off and removed.... glad im done sunday gonna be over 90 in the northeast ....

next project any ideas about basement water proofing somtimes sump pump runs 24/7... trying to avoid another flood ... wish there was some way to raise furnace higher... not practical right ... is there a better way to protect furnace water heater from deep water... ie if sump pump ever fails again....... thanks jb 90 year old work in progess

whispertalos

Post by whispertalos »

We put a standing seam metal roof on our house ourselves. and it has a steep pictch and lots of angles to cut.. We paid about $3500 for the roofing material.

you can see pictures on the website..

Kass
Kassandra

1907 Modified foursquare
Farm House

S Melissa

Post by S Melissa »

You can install a back up sump that runs on a battery for those times either the sump fails or the power goes out. Here in MI, a lot of houses have sumps and this has become common practice for those that can't tolerate a sump failure. You can also evaluate where your sump discharges - is it far enuf from the house so it's not dumping water back into the footings/foundation area? Does your ground slope away from the house to drag water away? Do your gutters drain near the foundation or are they routed away from it? Do you have any abandoned wells on the property that haven't been properly closed and could be seeping water into the ground near the house?

You can do a french drain in the basement to collect the water that is coming thru and direct it to the sump so you don't flood generally before it gets there. You can - this would be a bugger - place your furnace on a precast cement slab - raising it 3-4" above the floor. Same with water heater. Would necessitate cutting pipes/stuff to shorten.

repoint if necessary if walls are weeping. You can put in a french drain around the outside of the house to collect the run off and direct out to the yard. No fun.
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home

Jack Willard

Post by Jack Willard »

You know, I really used to like the looks of metal roofs, especially the blue ones. Perhaps it was from the fond memories of my grandparents house in N.C. and listening to the rain on the roof as a kid when we would visit.

Then I read this: http://dmr-gutters.com/fs/roofs.htm

I'm cured. Now I am much happier about having a composite shingle roof. Much of the roof we have is three layers thick, which is a bad thing and I hope that it will last for a good while longer. I have plenty of other projects to do first.

Wood shingle roofs are a bad thing. But please read the webpage above before you decide on a metal roof.
Jack Willard
ImageOn the way to California in 1972
http://members.oldhouseweb.com/jack_willard/Index.html

whispertalos

Post by whispertalos »

That company seems pretty down on roofs in general! We have had a metal roof on our existing house for almost 15 years now. No sign of the paint coming off.. ( its on a manufactured home)..and we can hear even in the heaviest rain and hail.. Metal roofs have been around for a LONG LONG time... Our gutters have not torn off ( we have had more than a foot of snow and even inches of ice). we have had not leaks...and the debris hasnt built up around anything.. <shrug> I am sure if you ask the right people you can find the negatives to any roof material

To each his own..
Kassandra

1907 Modified foursquare
Farm House

clover

Post by clover »

The majority of the claims on that website seem absurd at best. There's a 50+ year old standing seam metal roof on every barn on my family's 3 farms and not only are they all holding up just fine, they look fine too. I can't say anything about the sound (we do not live in said barns - despite some claims), but the only maintenance they require is a new coat of paint every 20 years or so. And regarding the claims that it's impossible to walk on a metal roof, I wouldn't attempt it when they're wet, but securing yourself with a rope will ensure that you won't be falling off. I've seen far too many people walk on a steep metal barn roof with ease to believe that it's impossible to do the same when the same material is on a home.

Monticello has a metal roof, if that tells you how long they've been popular. I also wouldn't say that Monticello is a "commercial" building, as the website claims that this type of roofing never looks good on residences. If they were truly so terrible I'm sure the "fad" would have ended a few hundred years ago.

To address the original query regarding cost; we are having our cedar shingle roof replaced with a standing seam metal roof (red). Our roof is about 2,000 sq ft, quite steep, with an additional front porch. After doing quite a bit of research, we're budgeting for 15-20k, though the high end is just to account for unexpected costs, as it will most likely be closer to 15k.

beachbons

Post by beachbons »

Just finished with a new asphalt roof. Here's how I arrived at my choice. The original roof was cedar shake in 1908. Asphalt was placed over the cedar shake in 1948, cost $585. Another layer was put on in 1972, cost $1547. It was my great-aunt's house so I have all the receipts.

The 6 estimates for tear-off, new decking, felt paper, valleys, flashing, ridge vents, and 30 year architectural-style shingles ranged from $6000 to $19000. I threw out the high and low and the four remaining were all around $11000. I checked with the BBB for any complaints. I met with each estimator to make sure that we were on the same page as to what had to be done, basicaly crossing all the "T's" and dotting all the "I's". I then got a list of 6 completed projects from each company and called the customers for their opinions.

All of the companies received good reviews so I asked each of them if they'de do the job for $9500. Two of them said they would and we chose the one who had done extensive roof restoration on several area historic homes, churches, and county courthouses.

Regarding the metal roofing question; one of the roofers in the $11000 range quoted $12000 for a standing seam roof put right over our (3) existing roofs. The guy who did our roof also said he would do metal over existing for about the same price as our eventual tear-off & replacement.

Here's our home before the roof replacement. I'll have new pics this week-end.

Greg

Danno

Post by Danno »

beachbons wrote:The original roof was cedar shake in 1908. Asphalt was placed over the cedar shake in 1948... Another layer was put on in 1972...
So we have
cedar shakes: 40 years
asphalt: 24 then 35.....

seems like I'd have put cedar back on, lol....
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."

James

Post by James »

Well my roof is tin and wood shingles(the mid, near vertical slopes of the gambrel), and the wood shingles sections need to be replaced. I have every intention of staying with wood shingels and painting the tin. Wish I could afford to replace the tin with wood shingles but going that far would be a bit of a budget buster.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.

Don M

Post by Don M »

We recently had another thread on metal roofing on this board & I don't buy all that guy on the referenced web page says about metal roofs. Do a search, find & read the previous thread. The standing seam metal roofs on my house & barn are at least 100 years old & still going strong. $45K sounds like a lot of money; you might try for more estimates. Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse