Ok....What style is my house?

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

dnmccoy

Ok....What style is my house?

Post by dnmccoy »

So it appears to depend on who I ask. The house was built in 1926.
Downstairs:
-LR,DR,KITCH
Upstairs
-2 bdrm, 1 bath.
Basement

Throughout the house is wood floors, a nice wood and brick mantle, Some stained windows downstairs. Front porch the width of the house.

If I forgot anything just ask.
Ive heard everything from Craftsman to foursquare. Help!
Heres a pic:

The pic is old, the house is in MUCH better shape now :)[/img]

S Melissa

Post by S Melissa »

I don't think I'd call it a 4 square. Craftsman possibly but a lot of the details have been obliterated by the siding job it got - so things like eposed rafter tails and maybe a belt line of shingles etc that would strengthen the notion of AC have been removed. What does it look like on the inside?

It could be a modified dutch colonial?
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home

Iowa4Square

Post by Iowa4Square »

I would say Craftsman. Even though some of the details are covered over (hopefully they haven't been removed altogther), the square columns, multi-paned upper sash, and clipped gable all suggest a Craftsman house.

Let's see a recent pic! :D
1909 Colonial Revival Foursquare

dfiler

Post by dfiler »

Would you happen to live in Allegheny county? That picture has a familiar feel.

oldhouseluvr

Post by oldhouseluvr »

dfiler wrote:Would you happen to live in Allegheny county? That picture has a familiar feel.
Hmmm ... I got the same feeling and was wondering if it is in PA.

ufonium2

Post by ufonium2 »

I would call it a gable front, but that's just because that's what I call mine and it looks similar. I was going to ask if it's in a mining community (like in PA) because that seems to be the dominant house style in the bigger old mining towns in Kentucky.

dfiler

Post by dfiler »

I was guessing the location because the photo looks like the lot-number tagged ones from the Allegheny county assessment website. On closer inspection, the number isn't in the right format so apparently other websites use the same black bar and white numbers for image tagging. (duh) :wink:

Your right in that it looks like a miner's house. In the Western PA, there are also old mill towns chalked full of these homes.

dnmccoy

Post by dnmccoy »

No I live in Columbus Ohio in Merion Village (http://www.merionvillage.org). That is the picture from our auditors website, hence the parcel number. The house appears to have had alot of changes, with some of the original details removed or worked over. For instance, there used to be french doors between the living room and the dining room that were removed years ago,allthough I just got a pair from an antique store for xmas:) Ive started the refinishing work on them and hope to have them hung before too long. The aluminum siding stinks, but I dont have the capital right now to redo it, but if I did I would go with the Nucedar that was in TOH a couple months back. I dunno if I would want wood, its alot of maintanence. Most of the houses have gone to vinyl or aluminum siding, some have asbestos shingling on them. If we can get a clear day Ill snap a pic of the front, which is a work in progress

dnmccoy

Post by dnmccoy »

Funny you mention mining. Columbus wasnt a mining town, but where I live, the village used to be home to steelworkers from the cities steel mills on the south end. A streetcar used to ferry people to and from work and home. I am very much wanting to restore some of the homes details but am having trouble becuae Im not real sure how it should be. I would agree with the craftsman style, but it dosnt have some of the features....I dunno maybe some were left out?

nathanaelgreene

Post by nathanaelgreene »

you can certainly tell it was from a blue collar town in either PA, OH, etc. around here if you dont see a house like that or if its not a old vic converted to a multi, it sticks out like a soar thumb.
A great way to get closer to figuring it out is to stand out front on your sidewalk and slowly scan up and down both sides of your street looking at all the other houses. Im sure there are many just like yours, its just yours has been altered a little bit. If you find something that looks the same, go ask the neighbor if he knows what style his is [you may even get some info, or old photos of the street/hose if that neighbor has been there a long time]
It also looks to me as if the house next door to you surely has the craftsman style continual roof/porch line going on with the large dormer section on top.