Need help with Waterlox

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Talos

Re: Need help with Waterlox

Post by Talos »

mgs wrote:Cut-in first, then apply with the lambswool applicator.
When we got our waterlox, there were no Lambswool applicators in their store. We ended up getting some roller pads (3/4" nap?) that said they are for floor stains/etc. Has anyone had good or bad experiences using them with Waterlox? Should we return them and hunt for the Lambswool elsewhere?
http://www.1907millerhouse.com/
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

mgs

Post by mgs »

I would not use a roller with Waterlox because you could get bubbles in thr finish. You can order a kit from Waterlox that has all of the application tools that you need. You can also get the applicator block and handle from a cleaning supply store and possibly lambswool applicators. However, the applicator that Waterlox sells is more plush than most that I have seen, so it will hold more product.

chadzeilenga

Post by chadzeilenga »

I'm almost ready to apply the waterlox!!
The floor sander is finishing up tomorrow with a final buff on the maple in the dining room & kitchen. This guy has done an excellent job sanding the floors and really has taken his time to do them right. He is definitely not from the "sand as fast as you can" school of floor refinishing. I think he's more excited about them than I am...ha ha.
He's very curious about the waterlox so he is going to stick around for the first coat to see how it is applied. He's heard a lot about it, but never used it.
Before I coat with the waterlox I'm going to tack the floors with terry cloth & mineral spirits. I don't think I need to get any wiskers up since he buffed the floors after his final sand at 100grit.

If anyone is looking for a very good floor sander in the Chicagoland area, let me know I have one i would recommend to anyone.

chadzeilenga

1st coat is done!

Post by chadzeilenga »

First coat is done!!!
The sander finished up buffing this morning and then I put down the first coat on all of the wood. I hope I did it right... The pine floors soaked up so much finish. It seemed like one swipe with the lambswool and I was getting dry streaks so I tried to keep it pretty saturated. I think I put more than I needed to on, I'm guessing this will only increase my drying time? I put down 3.5 gallons instead of the 2.5 that they recommended. I'm planning on giving the first coat 48hrs to cure before I put the 2nd down. How will I know that the first coat is fully cured?
Also, I think I definitely put too much down on the maple since I did that after the pine and was so used to keeping the applicator saturated. Will this cause any problems? How well does the waterlox level out? I saw on their video that I can rub any high spots out with 200 grit paper, so I might do that. Does anyone have any suggestions for wiping the surface after the 1st coat to get dust and specks up? I tried to look for bubbles and saw a couple here and there which went away when I went over them again. Will these stay in the finish if I missed them?

chadzeilenga

Sanded Pics

Post by chadzeilenga »

Here's some pics during the sanding process
Attachments
Living Room A.jpg
Living Room A.jpg (107.42 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
Bedroom A.jpg
Bedroom A.jpg (94.75 KiB) Viewed 3879 times

mgs

Post by mgs »

The pics look great. The natural colour of the Waterlox goes well with your trim. I wouldn't worry that you put too much down on the first coat, since it is entirely absorbed into the wood. I thought I'd need 2.5 gallons for my first coat and ended up using 3 gallons. The main areas to watch out for are the stopping and starting points. You need to "feather" those out after the applicator has made its sweep. You need to fully saturate the applicator, then press it to the tray to squeeze out excess product. As long as the Waterlox isn't dripping heavily off the applicator, then you haven't put on too much. 48 hours will be fine as long as your house is at room temperature and there is some ventilation. If you press and hold a finger to the floor, it might feel a bit tacky, even after 48 hours, but this is still ok for the next coat. You can sand out any areas where the Waterlox has "pooled", but this probably won't be an issue with the first coat. The only way to get dust out after the first coat is by sanding. Then vacuum the floor and/ or wipe with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits.

chadzeilenga

Post by chadzeilenga »

I'll put some more pics up of the floor after the first coat is dry. I'm going to put the 2nd coat on tomorrow night. I hope I did a good enough job feathering the start and stop points though. If I didn't, I think I'm stuck with those right?
Can I pole sand the floor with 200 grit for the dust?

mgs

Post by mgs »

You can sand out the starting/ stopping points if you didn't feather them correctly, so you are not stuck with them. I am actually going to use 150 grit to sand before my third coat. I tested a sample area and it came out smooth with less build-up in the paper than with finer grit.

Talos

Post by Talos »

We've started ours too! Two coats down as of last night. Pics available:

Before 1st coat:

1st coat applied:

2nd coat applied:

3rd coat applied:

I plan on taking pics after each coat, we're figuring on four coats at this point.
http://www.1907millerhouse.com/
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

rncx

Post by rncx »

Talos wrote:
mgs wrote:Cut-in first, then apply with the lambswool applicator.
When we got our waterlox, there were no Lambswool applicators in their store. We ended up getting some roller pads (3/4" nap?) that said they are for floor stains/etc. Has anyone had good or bad experiences using them with Waterlox? Should we return them and hunt for the Lambswool elsewhere?
check the home depot tool rental section. they usually carry lambswool pads. absent that, a janitorial supply store should have them.

i agree that rollers won't work, as others mentioned. dust and bubbles are the enemy in floor finishing ;).