1926 Home - I NEED HELP!

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

avjudge

Re: 1926 Home - I NEED HELP!

Post by avjudge »

Pheonix wrote:the foundation for the addition is cracked, has been my entire life.
OK, I know this thread hasn't been touched for a while, but I couldn't resist . . .
This might be a good thing. Has the crack moved/changed significantly in your lifetime? If it hasn't, then the foundation is doing what it's supposed to be doing, providing a STABLE (i.e. not moving!) base for your house. Maybe the ground settled when the addition's weight first came on it. I wouldn't worry about it until you have everything else done (and we all know what that means! :? It's never all done).

Of course, if you've watched the crack grow through the years, then that's an entirely different case . . .

Anne
Anne
Image Image

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

the crack seems to have gotten to a point where it is no longer growing. That specific room is now being used as storage because the roof leaked so bad a few ceiling boards fell. The room use to be mine when I was in my teens and the crack never changed. I really feel as though if I ca nget all the junk cleaned out of the house it wouldn't be so bad. Problme is my grandfather gets upset when I start cleaning out rooms. He has dimentia and is on nerve medication. I try to clean out as much as possible when he is away from the house with my Aunt. This particular room is what I am working on now.

lavender_bush

Post by lavender_bush »

Pheonix

You say you have no income - If you are your Grandfathers main caregiver, can you claim a caregivers allowance?

From the sounds of it? It could go towards making him a lot more comfortable.

Good Luck, I can only imagine how strongly you feel about saving the only home you have ever known :(

greenhornet1

Post by greenhornet1 »

I too live in a house built in the 1920s which I purchased last year. At first I admit that I had nightmares about electrical wiring until my husband began rooting around in the attic and informed me that the wiring in this house was built to last and poses no danger. We had an electrician inspect it, and he told us the same thing. Having said that, at some point someone added aluminum wiring, and we are in the process of ripping that out and replacing it. However, the original stuff from the 20's is perfectly safe and is working just fine. We did add some modern wiring to run a large window AC unit and the kitchen was remodeled two years ago and has all new wiring.

I agree with the others...find yourself a good electrician who isn't going to tell you to rip out every wall. It's hard to find electricians that want to work on old houses, because it's more work. But it's definately worth it in the long run to try to preserve as much of the original character and materials in the house as possible. They don't make it like they used to!!

Take a deep breath. There will always be something that needs doing, but this is true in modern homes as well and they aren't built nearly as well.

James

Post by James »

Just saw this thread because, well I almost never look at the post 1900 stuff. But I hope you have at some point seen the pictures of my place on here and how bad it was when the PO bought it? Nothing compared to what you have there. Deal with the roof and the rest can be managed.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.