Odor from Duraflame logs

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Odor from Duraflame logs

Postby Dave7711 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Several times this winter I have noticed Duraflame logs giving out a not very pleasant odor, from what I do not know, maybe the flamible items it contains. The odor is bad enough at times to make me cut down on using the fireplace. For some strange reason I didnt notice the smell last winter. The flu is fully open and no smoke when in use seems to be coming through into the living room. Also the flu appears to be open on the top - no birds nest blocking it. I also have installed a glass window insert on my fireplace so I can close off the fireplace when not in use. That helps reduce the smell later but not always eliminate it. I notice others on the internet have complained about Duraflame logs and their odor.

If I switch over to wood would that have a better smell?? Do some types of wood smell better than others??? What brands would you recommend? What about the Walmart wood for $5.00.

My chimney was inspected 18 months ago and was OK so I think the danger of chimney fire is at a minimum.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Dave7711

Re: Odor from Duraflame logs

Postby oldhouseluvr » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:07 pm

We don't have a fireplace, but a few years ago we bought our son a fire pit for Christmas and I picked up a couple of duraflame logs as part of the gift. Shortly after I brought the logs into the house, the smell was overwhelming and I had to put them outside. I couldn't stand the smell for even a few hours and they were still in the wrapper. We burn sticks from the yard in the fire pit now so I can't answer your question about other wood.
oldhouseluvr

Postby Dave7711 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Yes I know what you mean. The smell is bad even when they are in the package before burning. I dont know how they get away with it.
Dave7711

Postby Daniel Meyer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Is it colder than it was last year? Duraflames don't burn very HOT and maybe can't get a good draft going in a masonry chimney...
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby Dave7711 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks for the tip. Any idea where I can buy the enviro logs? I live in the Dayton, Ohio area.
Dave7711

Postby jade mortimer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:45 am

burn dry seasoned hardwood, no pine.........who knows what evil lurks within fake logs? there's got to be a bunch of chemicals in them...i tried to download a msds (material safety data sheet) which will tell you the ingredients and the safety (or lack thereof) of a product...it could be my dial-up, too slow...can someone else download it?it looks as if envirolog uses all recycled materials and a lot of wax...what does wax do to the interior walls of a chimney??

cynical me.....
...jade
jade mortimer

Postby misterg » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 am

I buy Enviro-Log firelogs at Home Depot, but you'll have to check availability in your area. They can also be purchased from the Web site, http://www.enviro-log.net and I believe they list other retailers on the site. They're made of 100 percent recylcled waxed cardboard - the cardboard used by grocery stores for produce. The wax is a food grade wax found on your fruits and vegetables. The product burns cleaner than wood and generates more heat than wood per pound. Enviro-Log's claims have also been validated by Omni Testing Lab. A friend told me about these. Burned a case last month and love em.
misterg

Postby Dave7711 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks misterg

I have been reading on the internet the pros and cons on the envirolog. Some people swear by them -- and some swear at them. Some say they are very hard to light. Apparently you have to take the wrapper off and use that to start them. Some have complained less heat comes off of them than the duraflame log and that the flame is less prominent. Not sure but on the internet if there is anything less than perfection people will complain until they are blue in the face.

I wonder if I can but just one or two to test them or if I have to buy a whole box??
Dave7711

Postby misterg » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Dave 771 I like them because they don't have any petroleum additives in them - Duraflame does. Yes, they recommend removing from the wrapper and to use it as kindling. I just use a long match to light in a few places and get good ignition. I've seen them on Amazon.com, sold in single logs. Some stores may also divide the cases.
misterg

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum