JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street (lots of pictures)

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

sooth

Re: JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street (lots of pictures)

Post by sooth »

Yay! Look good.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

JRC

Post by JRC »

I just had the lumber for the porch floor delivered today. It's just pine, but true 5/4 thickness, at least. So now, my task for this weekend is to prime it.

khwils

Post by khwils »

JRC,

Were the original porch boards 5/4?? i thought they were still 3/4 back then but I honestly haven't paid much attention to that. Are your boards tongue and groove?

Kurt

sooth

Post by sooth »

Kurt, my porch boards (1923 house) are around 1 1/8" thick pine t-g. 5/4 is even better. When I replaced the two end boards on my porch, I ended up using cedar deck boards which were around the right thickness (to match as close as possible).
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

JRC

Post by JRC »

khwils wrote:JRC,

Were the original porch boards 5/4?? i thought they were still 3/4 back then but I honestly haven't paid much attention to that. Are your boards tongue and groove?

Kurt
The boards I took off were 5/4. I'm not sure if the floor I took off was original or not, though. The new boards (they are T&G) are a little different from the originals, in that they are wider. That's a small change I'm willing to live with.

Theresse

Post by Theresse »

I love watching your progress here. Hey hopefully this isn't offensive (!) but I can't wait for you to get a period-appropriate front door! Love the sidelights and light fixtures!

JRC

Post by JRC »

Theresse wrote:I love watching your progress here. Hey hopefully this isn't offensive (!) but I can't wait for you to get a period-appropriate front door! Love the sidelights and light fixtures!
Thank you! I can't wait to get a correct front door, too. But, that's very low on my priority list, until my finances improve.

JRC

Post by JRC »

It's been awhile since I posted an update.

Sorry, no interesting pictures.

I have patched and primed 3 of the 4 bedrooms, and the hall.

I also had the hearing about the painting/porch repair. They understand that work won't progress over winter, but the date they gave me is still unrealistic. I have until next April 18th. I'm not sure if I should just pay the $1000-1500 to have the house "scraped and painted" to appease the city, (and then do it right, when it needs painted again in a few years) or keep going through the appeals process, making token amounts of progress, until I can afford to do it right.

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

It would be tempting to go the path of least resistence for now and have it done with... but whatever you do kudos for taking it on and sticking with it. I often wish I could travel the country and meet all the devoted souls on here - there is very little commisseration in my area :roll:
1904 Victorian :)

MoxhamAndy

Post by MoxhamAndy »

Very insightful thread...lots of information I can use in my own house in western PA. Your place has come a loooong way in these 23 pages. Can't wait to see it with the new decking.

Andy
1898 Foursqaure in Johnstown, Pennsylvania... Restoring it a week at a time.