JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street (lots of pictures)

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

JRC

JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street (lots of pictures)

Post by JRC »

I'm still fairly new, but I really like what I've been reading here, and think I'll fit in. :)

I did start a new thread awhile back about my seemingly endless search for an old house in a rather specific neighborhood. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26568 Well, I've finally gone all the way, and closed on a house yesterday. (just a land contract for now) I am still trying to set up a meeting with the PO to receive the keys, but I'm expecting to do that this weekend. (hopefully)

But, I'll still share some pics I took when I first walked through the house in January of '10. (that's right, I've been trying to buy the house for 16 months.)

The PO has information about the original owners and the architect, and I'm hoping he will share when he gives me the keys.

So here are the highlights:

Foyer:

Looking into the front parlor from the foyer:

Back Parlor: (Would there have been a matching cover on that fireplace? Any info. about this kind of fireplace would be appreciated)

Plumbing damage in back parlor:

Looking into the dining room from back parlor:

Dining room built-in:

Kitchen: (Not sure I like this kitchen, even though it's vintage 50's. You'd think they would use Youngstown cabinets in Youngstown--I might have wanted to keep them more. :roll: I want to keep the fridge, if it works, though. I'd prefer tall wall cabinets with glass doors, soapstone counter tops, a modern interpretation of what might have been there originally.)

Downstairs bathroom that was originally the back porch off the kitchen:

One of 4 bedrooms: (either the previous tenant smoked a lot, or they didn't paint for a few decades)

Original fixture in hall:

Original fixture in bedroom: (I believe this is the only bedroom to have a wall sconce)

Apparently, the previous tenant just decided to leave one day:

Bedroom converted to kitchen:

Upstairs bathroom: (those are plastic tiles, not porcelain)

But it still has the claw foot tub, and there is an original built-in linen cupboard behind the door:

Up to the attic that is filled with "stuff":

Not cedar, but nice anyway:

KristenS

Re: JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street (lots of pictures)

Post by KristenS »

JRC wrote:Back Parlor: (Would there have been a matching cover on that fireplace? Any info. about this kind of fireplace would be appreciated)
I believe those are officially referred to as holycowmanthat'sgorgeous fireplaces. They're quite rare. :wink:

The eBay proceeds on the "vintage" pieces in the attic might just cover the nicotine abatement in that one room!

Seriously, it's a lovely looking house. Congrats on closing! I'm excited to see more pictures as you work on it.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

Sekhmet

Post by Sekhmet »

Wow, that looks like a lot of work but like it will be worth it. That woodwork is amazing.

If the fireplace cover thingamajig is copper, someone might have taken the removable cover piece and sold it. Ours has a copper cover similar to that, with a plate that you can remove - looks a lot like the opening you have there when it's off.
The Edward A. Ohlms House, c. 1908
Historic Old Town, St. Charles, Missouri

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

WOW, the woodwork is simply beautiful, you will have a lot of fun with this house, a stunner indeed

McCall

Post by McCall »

That house is the GOOD, the Bad and the Ugly. The fireplaces are gorgeous as is much of the woodwork, great kitchen but boy do you have work to do there.
The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference!

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

Holy Mother of God! That is a beautiful house!!!!

And for what it's worth, I love every single inch of your kitchen. Love the linoleum. Love the sink. Love the fridge. Love the cabinets! Love it!!!! I'll bet there's a vintage stove on Cragslist, just waiting for you. If you plan to demolish that kitchen, please give the folks on this forum first refusal of everything in that room. (You are so stinkin' lucky to have such an intact kitchen. You just haven't realized it yet. )

Likewise, you've got wonderful sinks, with what looks like original fittings. Very nice! It's not a big deal to convert that tub to a shower. Our was in the same condition when we moved in, and we installed an oval curtain thingamajig, and a shower.

Vaso7

Post by Vaso7 »

************ FAINT*****************************
This is just such a gorgeous house. And unlike the other members I do not think it is so much more work than any other old house that haven't been restored. Know what, even if the house was beautifully kept you would still had to take pieces of wall out, and make holes and paint and everything. Re-plumbing and rewiring is a mess no matter what. A very smoked and dirty wall needs about the same time and work to be painted as a cleaner wall.
A few comments.
The kitchen with cleaning, painting and accessorizing would be just FAB. The floor is amazing. You just have to clean it and buff it with the machine (not just mop it). The sink is OMG. A good cleaning, a nice paint job, an appropriate light fixture, an electric wall clock.... Just FAB.
Is this a two family house? I see 2 kitchens.
I have the exact same rotary electric switches! If you find any way to use them with new wiring please let me know. I have them out in a drawer and I am dying to put them back but I do not know how.
The bathroom tile though have to go. I bet the original wood floor is waiting for you.
What's up with the ceiling in the smokey bedroom. Is it painted dark, is it wood or it is just dirty?
Overall such a rewarding place to restore!
keep posting pictures as you go along.
Just love it!
1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary

circuspeanut

Post by circuspeanut »

Amazing woodwork!

For what it's worth, that plastic tile in the bath has its own vintage status amongst mid-century renovators, and you can get a pretty penny for it, so remove with care! Advertise it at retrorenovation or gardenweb, and I bet you'll get a lot of offers.

Nice to own a house that has more than one generation of coolness in it. ;-)

airgrabber

Post by airgrabber »

Beautiful house...love the kitchen sink and the fridge!
Three may keep a secret, if two are dead.
Circa 1921 Dutch Colonial Revival

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

I secretly love that green bathroom. Sure, it's dirty which makes it gross, but I'll brt that if you cleaned it up, you might start liking it.

Take a look at a website called Retro Renovation, for validation of your bathroom. (They're the same folks who do "Save the Pink Bathrooms.")