Porch Floor color? ***PICS***

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

1915FourSq

Porch Floor color? ***PICS***

Post by 1915FourSq »

Let's play the color game! You pick the color!

The porch on our foursquare is enclosed and is used year round. We ripped up the god-awful orange rug that has been there since 1972 (no offense to 1972) and found that floor seems to be in good shape. At some point it was painted the typical french grey but is in need of some love. The walls of the porch itself are white and the house wall is white/creamy stucco. The window sills and doors are black. The ceiling is original walnut colored beadboard.

Please help!

Thanks!
PS - we are not afraid of color.
Last edited by 1915FourSq on Fri May 20, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KristenS

Re: Porch Floor color?

Post by KristenS »

A friend of mine in high school had a huge Victorian. They painted it in pinks and lavenders. The porch ceiling they did in sky blue, and the porch floor in green, like a field of grass. It was pretty cool!

But if you've got walnut bead board on the ceiling, I wouldn't change that. We've got bead board that's entirely alligatored and splashed with trim paint. I wish like mad it was in good shape.

There was a house I wanted to look at when we were buying this one. We never made it there. But it had a fully walled-in porch with a wood floor painted teal. The front door was also teal. It was really incredible. I'm gonna try to find pictures.

[EDIT] I can't find pictures. But here's a door that's about the same color.
Last edited by KristenS on Fri May 20, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

1880 Stick Victorian

Post by 1880 Stick Victorian »

c'mon...you know we like pictures here! :D

i hear that orange is a very popular color for 1915 four squares this season... :lol:
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880

1915FourSq

Post by 1915FourSq »

I'm at work, so no posting pics for me! Its funny you suggested teal b/c I pulled a paint chip close to that color and my husband hated it. So thats a no-go there. Anyone have pics of painted porch floors other than the standard Google photos?

McCall

Post by McCall »

I plan to do the floor of my Foursquare porch in multi colored slate, you can do the same thing with paint.
The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference!

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

I used three shades of blue from Sherwin Williams. Dark blue on the floor, medium blue on the doors, and light blue on the ceiling. My porch floor was a medium porch gray before I painted it. Not sure what the original color was. After painting it the dark blue, I think next time I'd reverse the medium blue of the door to the floor and paint the doors the dark blue. But I do like the colors. I don't think the photos do a good job of picking it up, though.

BTW...There are four doors to the house on this porch, which is on the side of the house. One to the living room, dining room, kitchen, and pantry/laundry. The pantry/laundry door was originally a separate room from the rest of the pantry and contained a bathtub (the house had a "bath and a path." Bath was off the porch,and the path led to the privy). The only entrance to the bath was from the porch. The hand wash sink was on the porch, on the wall by the kitchen door. I have that sink in storage. The white clapboard you see here is what is underneath all the asbestos siding on the exterior of my house. Someday I'll uncover it and restore it. Above the door to the living room, the transom is missing the glass and has plywood there. I'll fix that someday, too. None of the other doors had a fixed transom.
Attachments
porch south after.jpg
porch south after.jpg (18.3 KiB) Viewed 7014 times
porch north after.jpg
porch north after.jpg (35.76 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

1915FourSq

Re: Porch Floor color? **PICS**

Post by 1915FourSq »

Porch full length.
Porch full length.
IMG00159-20110520-1832.jpg (51.62 KiB) Viewed 7020 times
Ceiling full length of porch
Ceiling full length of porch
IMG00158-20110520-1831.jpg (41.46 KiB) Viewed 7004 times
Celiing
Celiing
IMG00161-20110520-1834.jpg (38.63 KiB) Viewed 6999 times

1915FourSq

Post by 1915FourSq »

Doors etc
Doors etc
IMG00160-20110520-1832-1.jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 7007 times
As you can see the porch needs some love, and since the floor is grey it just kinda makes it look like an afterthought. Any suggestions?

melissakd

Re: Porch Floor color? ***PICS***

Post by melissakd »

Any color you want. I'd say make sure it has the same undertone as the wood ceiling, whether that's a goldish undertone (like tomato red) or a bluish one (like candy-apple red). Walnut tends to look to me like it has an almost greenish cast to it. Your black and cream may have undertones to them too...I sang in a symphony chorus and when you dress 50 women in black on a brightly lighted stage, you can really see how some blacks eventually will fade to brownish, others are deep and sooty, and still other blacks have a bluish highlight like Veronica's hair in Archie comics.

So that's my advice on color selection. Here's a page of vintage color illustrations and palettes if that would be helpful.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/daily-bung ... 492336114/

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt

cadrad

Re: Porch Floor color? ***PICS***

Post by cadrad »

Historically, most porch floors were painted battleship grey or shutter green, but its your house, so do what you want. are you planning on leaving the existing color scheme? do you have furniture to match? I would try to work with one of those colors. I have stained beadboard ceiling on my two porches, and my current front porch floor is brown indoor outdoor carpet over plywood. The plan is to take up the raised floor and, since my floors are cement, use the huge stack of terra cotta quarry tile I got at the restore for 20 bucks( seriously... like 600 tiles)
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org