Sunroom Addition

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

jwesevich

Sunroom Addition

Post by jwesevich »

Sometime in the early '20s, a Swedish ship captain apparently bought our place, and redid it in Colonial Revival, adding a vapor steam system, and knocking out a wall and adding a sunroom while he was at it.

The wood storms over the sunroom windows have been screwed down since time immemorial, and the windows painted shut apparently just as long. :( Most of the hardware is gone, except for one window:

Since there's zero ventilation in the sunroom, next spring's project will be to get things working again. One question though--the screens? Our casement windows in Montreal had inner screens, and I thought that might have been the case here, but there's no place for them.

Anyone have any ideas? (Wood shades are from the PO)

thanks, as always,
jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897
Model for: Barber's "Modern Dwellings" Catalog 27E
"Vinyl is just a fancy name for Plastic"

SkipW

Re: Sunroom Addition

Post by SkipW »

1) do you plan on keeping the blinds?
2) are you married to the adjusters, or could fixed openers be OK?

Reason I ask is the blinds are a bit in the way for an interior screen it seems. You can add a parting bead where you could install a single screen but the blinds would have to be removed or brought an inch or two into the room...might not be the best look :? Obviously, hinged screens would not work with them there.

If you used a fixed opener, possibly you could have a smaller clearance to make in the bottom of the screen or none at all if you use a hook that is attached to the sill between the screen and window. Otherwise, maybe you could relieve the bottom of the screen and use fuzzies to ride over the adjusters and keep bugs out. Or, if it would operate OK, move the adjuster base toward the window, allowing sceens to fit inside....

Just some quick thoughts

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford

triguy128

Post by triguy128 »

Do you need screen in RI? The bugs are think out here in the midwest, but I thought maybe the East Coast as with much of the West Coast it wasn't really nessesary. I know is Europe, in hotels I stayed at in both France and Germany, there were no screens and I have very few insect visitors.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows

donoinmass

Post by donoinmass »

Unfortunately, bugs in New England are pretty bad in the summer - black flies in the late spring, mosquitos in the summer, flies...all the fun stuff. I wish no screens were needed, that would be AWESOME! :)
Don O'Neil
'The Orange Whitney House - 1896'
Winchendon, MA

jwesevich

Post by jwesevich »

Yep, as donoinmass notes, it aint Florida, but screens are a must. Thanks for the suggestions Skip--we may end up switching shades anyway, since they're huge, heavy, and difficult to open.

Otoh, these things have been painted shut for so long, it make take all summer to get a couple of them working, which will solve the problem for another year. :-) I'll have to research and see if I can find what the captain was thinking...there must be a piece I'm missing.

jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897

triguy128

Post by triguy128 »

I just don't see how those were ever intended to use with screens. I think they tolerated a few bugs and perhaps kerosene lanterns kept them away. Maybe 100 years ago the bug issue wasn't as bad with more natural wilderness around. People also wore more clothing, and perhaps gas lights and kerosene lamps kept the bugs at bay.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

How about a screen insert used much like an interior storm...the kind that is friction mount inside the window casing? You'd open the window first, then insert the screen inside the interior window frame...between the blinds and the open window.
Last edited by pqtex on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

jwesevich

Post by jwesevich »

Pqtex, I had someone tell me that's how it was done originally. I really can't tell if that's a workable possibility until I get the storm off, and the paint all cracked so I can open one up. I was very surprised that the hardware extended so far back towars the end of the sill because the notch that's on the inner side of the stops looks like a natural for a screen. Otoh, I don't know if they're actually in the right place, as that is the only pair that's left.

jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

I bought a Window Zipper after someone here posted about them. It makes short work of "unzipping" the paint sealed windows! I bought mine from Ace Hardware. Very inexpensive.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

Vaso7

Post by Vaso7 »

My casement windows all have inside screens that are mounted on hinges and they open to the inside. The hinges have removable pins so they could be removed in the winter (if you have that kind of time) or could be swapped with inside storms (I have only 2 sets of those, I wish I had 50....).
I think they would cost about 100$ (Boston prices) each to have someone make the frames and then you can finish the rest...
How many do you have? 1, 2 ? :lol:
I am laughing because I am sure you have a lot more than that and what sounds like easy for one or two might be daunting for 10....

And surprising I do not have a single good picture of the inside of my windows... Hard to believe.
Anyway, here is one of the bathroom that you can see the screens.

1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary