Exterior color help

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Exterior color help

Postby cala » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for suggestions for a mini-makeover of our front. I cannot change the siding or roof color of our house, but I would really like to change the front and screen door color, front door surround and change the green on the existing shutters. I am willing to be bold (i.e. use bright colors), but I don't know how to manage the beige siding, orang-ish tan roof plus a couple of other colors. Additionally, since the windows are cased in white, I am stuck with that too.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Cala
Attachments
house.jpg
house.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
cala

Re: Exterior color help

Postby Sashguy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Have you considered using the roof color and tying it in to the scheme?
Sashguy

Postby cala » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:14 pm

I was actually thinking of doing the door or screen door and shutters in the orangey color of the roof. I feel like I might need one other color, then, to bring it all together.
cala

Postby Sashguy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:18 am

Old school would put you with a mix of the roof color plus the body color then blown to the dark spectrum of that mix. For example, here are the original colors that I found at the base coat of my 1936. They ground up the dark brick, made a paste, set that as the dark, then added white for the mid color, then more white for the light color. Oddly enough, I had done the procedure and came up with the colors before I investigated the base coat.
Attachments
home.JPG
home.JPG (160.37 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Sashguy

Postby cala » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:38 pm

That's very handsome! I like the idea of taking a dark to light spectrum approach. Will keep it in mind.
cala

Postby wletson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:48 am

I actually like the green shutters. Adding shutters to the upper windows (green), and maybe painting the areas to the side of door the same green. Then another color totally on the front door.

Trying to understand from your photo what keeps porch roof up? Do you have another view?
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby cala » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:01 pm

It's not really a porch, more of an overhang. The roof-line only extends about 2 feet from the face of the house, so there is nothing specific holding it up. I am not sure if there should be, now that you mention it...
I do plan to add shutters to the top windows as well--I agree that it will help balance the look of the front out. Now, if only I had a proper ladder!
I am glad you like the green--I am just a bit tired of it (the color is on my parents' house too!), so feeling ready for a change.
cala

Postby wletson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:39 pm

If you want to get rid of the green on the shutters, pick a nice earthy red for the shutters and around the front door. Then pick a color for the door. Me, I'd go with green. :lol:
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby angolito » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:53 pm

the green is that ralph lauren forest green right now. i would say that a Different green, like behr ( its interior in my fan samples) "grape vine" or "crockodile" might be nice on the shutters both around the windows and door. now, if you wanted to go a little wild, a deep lilac against satured green is beautiful........ like "stained glass" on the door(s) i agree that you need to make the house look a little less bottom heavy. if you don't want shutters ( which i think would be too much) then put on window boxes. if the lilac scares you you could try and use "squash" on the door (s) and the window boxes.

if you do this you should consider painting the soffits. it would give the house such depth and you could do it in a lighter green. just a a thought.

is the foundation painted already, or that a natural color?
angolito

Postby cala » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Angolito, to answer your question, the foundation is painted, a creamy color that is relatively close to the siding color. From the front, the foundation is mostly obscured by shrubbery.
I like your suggestions very much--I hadn't thought of another green. Lilac might not fly with my spouse, but it does sound quite beautiful! I might just try to make that work.
To echo your "squash" suggestion, I think an orange color on the door might be a nice echo to the terra cotta color of the roof shingles. Maybe "amber glow"? So many possibilities...
cala

Next

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum