Refinishing porch beadboard ceiling, any thoughs?

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Refinishing porch beadboard ceiling, any thoughs?

Postby Hoosier Foursquare on Tue May 01, 2012 12:43 pm

As the weather is warm now in my area, my focus is shifting from inside the house to outside. Our porch covers the front of the house and one-quarter of the right side and has a beadboard ceiling. I figured it would be a scrape, sand, caulk & paint affair but was just curious what you guys though or if you have any suggestions.

I've got a lot of experience in paint prep and restoration but have never done a beadboard ceiling before. Thanks! :)
Attachments
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG (669.85 KiB) Viewed 7669 times
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG (938.05 KiB) Viewed 7669 times
IMG_3593.JPG
IMG_3593.JPG (866.38 KiB) Viewed 7666 times
Hoosier Foursquare

Re: Refinishing porch beadboard ceiling, any thoughs?

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Wed May 02, 2012 12:16 pm

have you actually gotten a ladder and checked it out? is the paint flakey, is it just dried out? what condition is the wood in?

i have been stripping interior beadboard (usually in the winter) that is a tad bit wider on the "board" part and i am using a heat plate for many reasons... it is very time consuming... but if you don't need to take it down to bare wood it shouldn't be too big of a deal...
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby Josiecat on Wed May 02, 2012 5:50 pm

No advice, but I wanted to say very neat house. I LOVE the urns.
The Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne Victorian
Topeka, Kansas
Josiecat

Postby triguy128 on Thu May 03, 2012 1:10 pm

BTW - that looks more like toneu & Grooze boards than beadboard. I thought beadboard was like a partical board material.

I have beadboard on my utility room basement ceiings and it was used instead of lathe on all my plaster walls and ceiling except hte basement and garage ceilings.

This T&G looks that same as what's under my eaves/soffits. IF you can afford it, it will look best if you totally scrape/sand it down and then prime and paint it. But, for 1/3 the cost and 1/5 the time, you can jsut srape the loose stuff, and prime and paint over it wit ha good quality exterior paint. I honestly don't mind the thick paint and inperfections it leaves. IT reminds me that its' an old house and the layers of paint are part of it's history. I imagine the pervious owners that all took a hand in keeping it in good condition. However, you run the risk that some paint will peel.
Last edited by triguy128 on Thu May 03, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby Daniel Meyer on Thu May 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape.

(sigh)

Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape. Scrape.

That is all. :)
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Thu May 03, 2012 3:53 pm

triguy128 wrote:BTW - that looks more like toneu & Grooze boards than beadboard. I thought beadboard was like a partical board material.

I have beadboard on my utility room basement ceiings and it was used instead of lathe on all my plaster walls and ceiling except hte basement and garage ceilings.

This T&G looks that same as what's under my eaves/soffits. IF you can afford it, it will look best if you totally scrape/sand it down and then prime and paint it. But, for 1/3 the cost and 1/5 the time, you can jsut srape the loose stuff, and prime and paint over it wit ha good quality exterior paint.

triguy, what she and daniel have is bead board and it does fit together via T&G
scott
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby Alexander on Thu May 03, 2012 5:16 pm

I would examine it carefully to see if it is damaged. Mine looked much like yours and the roof had leaked and it was rotting behind the paint. it looks as if it is bowing and moving also much like mine did. When I got up there it just all seemed to crumble apart. I took a piece to a local mill and had them mill new wood for me and I took the old down, removed all the nests from rats with tails and birds and put new up. It was a very messy job but worth it in the end. My porch is l shaped so I only had to do one portion of the L as the other area was in great shape.

Alexander
Alexander

Postby Alexander on Thu May 03, 2012 5:28 pm

check out the photos of my mess I just updated
Alexander

Postby Hoosier Foursquare on Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 am

Thank you for all of the comments and suggestions. Scraping if I have to and replacing if need be.

Would you guys all agree that if I do have to replace with new that it be painted on both sides just like new wood siding?
Hoosier Foursquare

Postby cadrad on Fri May 04, 2012 3:25 pm

I would think that since beadboard is a contraction of beaded board that any board with a bead along the edge is beadboard, regardless of the method by which it fits together. Tounge and grove is a method of joining boards together and is a much broader catagory than beadboard. For example, flooring is usually tounge and groove, as it some types of plywood underlayment.
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org
cadrad

Next

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum