dcsimg

Ironing board cabinet

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Ironing board cabinet

Postby MAP » Tue May 29, 2012 11:25 am

Hi everyone,
I am looking for the original ironing board that fit in my built in ironing board cupboard. The house was built in the 20s and cupboard is in the kitchen...does anyone have any tips as to how I might find one? Thanks in advance for any help :D
MAP

Re: Ironing board cabinet

Postby pqtex » Tue May 29, 2012 11:41 am

Where are you located? I saw several for sale in one store on a recent salvage hunt in Texas. I was at several places, but I think I saw them at Discount Home Warehouse in Dallas http://www.dhwsalvage.com/ or Old Home Supply House in Fort Worth http://www.oldhomesupplyhouse.com/.

They were in good condition, several different sizes and styles. If you check with these places, and they don't have them, I can provide a list of the other places we went to...all located between San Antonio and Dallas.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby MAP » Tue May 29, 2012 2:21 pm

I am in Ohio...Thanks, I will look online or call the places you mentioned.
MAP

Postby pqtex » Tue May 29, 2012 2:31 pm

I just realized you are looking for the ironing board only...you already have the cabinet. The ones I saw were the the entire cabinets that had been salvaged from homes. I'm sorry I don't remember more, but those weren't on my current wish-list, so I didn't pay that much attention to whether they had any ironing boards by themselves or not. The place I'd call would be the Old Home Store in Fort Worth if you can't find what you want closer to Ohio. They had several buildings of well-organized parts and odds and ends in addition to their big items. They even had several shelves of just toilet tank covers in various colors, shapes and sizes.

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby airgrabber » Tue May 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Are you missing just the ironing board (commonly wooden) or also the hardware that allows it to tilt out from the cabinet? You may be able to retrofit or install any matching hardware and ironing board combination in any ironing board cabinet, but please realize that different manufacturers had different designs and styles of hardware and boards. In other words, built-in ironing boards were usually sold as assemblies and it would be easier to find the correct stuff if you know who made your cabinet. Do you have any pictures?
Three may keep a secret, if two are dead.
Circa 1921 Dutch Colonial Revival
airgrabber

Postby MAP » Tue May 29, 2012 9:56 pm

I am missing wooden ironing board as well as hardware. I will check cupboard dimensions and post them along with pic (hopefully I can get one!) Thanks ...
MAP

Postby MAP » Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Cupboard dimensions are 12 1/4" wide, 4" deep, 80" high ...working on pics...
MAP

Postby pqtex » Wed May 30, 2012 1:51 pm

If you can locate the brand name, you might check to see if new ironing boards are still made to fit. I know the built-ins are still being made, and you might get lucky with a replacement, even if not your vintage wood board.

pqtex

Postby RosemaryT » Thu May 31, 2012 3:08 pm

I would think that you could re-create one - if you can't find one at salvage.

I'd imagine that these things are scarce as hen's teeth.

This is from the 1921 Sears Modern Homes catalog.

Rose
http://www.searshomes.org
RosemaryT

Postby MAP » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:35 pm

No brand name seems to be stamped anywhere. Thanks for the help....I may follow the advice from Rose and try to recreate one...dh is very handy so I am fortunate :D
MAP

Next

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum