Yay! Big find in salvage warehouse!

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Lauren674

Yay! Big find in salvage warehouse!

Post by Lauren674 »

After looking and calling and visiting salvage places all over the US, I had given up on finding the right salvaged bookcase colonnades to install as a space divider in our living room, and drew up plans to have them built. A couple days ago, Hubby and son were on a business trip and stopped at a couple of salvage places, sending me these pictures as the place was about to close, and then driving on to their next destination another 4 hours. I called yesterday morning and made an offer (accepted!), and they drove all the way back to get them today. So happy, these are just like the plans I drew up and need only minor mullion repair on on left side doors:

:D

Lauren
Chicago Area Bungalow
New Forum: https://www.wavyglass.org/index.php

Daniel Meyer

Re: Yay! Big find in salvage warehouse!

Post by Daniel Meyer »

Nice!
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

Lucky you! I saw a set in Fort Worth, Texas a couple of months ago, and remembered someone was looking for them, but I assumed it was too far away, so I didn't inquire about price or anything. Good for you! They will look lovely in your home.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

kathyd

Post by kathyd »

What a lucky find. They are beautiful. Can't wait to see photos of them in your house.

Lauren674

Post by Lauren674 »

My guys are just arriving at Bauer Brothers in Minneapolis to load them up. Here is a close up -

Lauren
Chicago Area Bungalow

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

Look at those hinges. They have original patina. This was a very lucky score for your family and your house. Thank the "guys" for all of us here.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

Lauren674

Post by Lauren674 »

Sorry this is a double post, as I initially posted on my old "Searching for Colonnades " in the General Discussions Forum. Just a follow-up to show them sitting in our living room.

The elves delivered last night! Time to plan the next construction project. Vote: the paneled side should face the door side or the bookcase side? I think they should be reversed from as shown, but does it matter?

Doorframe still on the porch, and these are a good two feet further apart than they will be after the job is done. But, I think they match our house really well! I bought those colonnades knowing I would greatly regret passing them up. This means the next construction project: build one wall with a large opening of 9' x 7', and a 2nd wall to create two closets, and trim out everything, installing the colonnades and replacing a long baseboard heater. Then the bedroom adjacent needs a door moved and two closets ripped out, electrical work to move switches, trim work.....end result is a "study/entry" room with a coat closet, and a restored/enlarged bedroom with more private door location and new closet. All this construction is putting the house back to the way it was built in the first place! Except instead of colonnades, there was more likely a full wall with two glass french doors opening into the study (based upon the neighbors houses). The floor plan was "remuddled" and for some reason I am completely compelled to spend $$$ to make it right
Last edited by Lauren674 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
Chicago Area Bungalow

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

They look custom made for your house! I think the bookcase side should face the living room because that is how you would use it. The other side matches the front door. I don't know if there is a right or wrong. Try looking at photos of homes with the originals still in place.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

I'm so happy for you - and your lucky home. I vote the shelves face into the living room too, for what it's worth!
1904 Victorian :)

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

For what it is worth, My brothers house, 1916, very similar divider has the display cases facing the foyer as it makes arranging furniture in the living room easier as you are not covering up a display case. They added lighting and display cut glass in them and it is a dramatic upon entering the house. I would think if the bookcases faced the living room it would be hard not to have furniture pushed against them. Just a thought, you could live with them both ways for a bit before you install them.

Alexander