dcsimg

Moving in and getting to work - Old farm house

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Moving in and getting to work - Old farm house

Postby Deppizzymo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:53 am

So I will be moving into a large two story old farm house that was built in the 30s/40s. It has very poor insulation as they simply wrapped the wood structure in a think layer of foam and added vinyl siding at one point. The siding is actually in great condition considering how old it is and I would rather leave it as-is. I am also going to have some foundation work to do as it has an added foundation on two sides when they added on the kitchen. The heating is propane and it has forced air downstairs. There is one duct that goes to the second story. The house was updated periodically in the 50s, 60s and 70s with wood paneling/acoustic tiles/popcorn ceilings/linoleum by the layer. One bedroom was added on in the 60s along with the kitchen. I will try and keep pictures posted of my progress but I am a complete amateur with a love of learning on how to do things myself. I come from a long line of people who have cobbled things together to work not perfectly but in a lasting fashion.

They had animals in the house so I have a lot of work to do cleaning it up. The first of my goals before we move in as a family is to rip up the carpets. The first floor bedroom will be the easiest room as there is a thin-strip oak hardwood floor underneath that hardly saw any use before they carpeted it. I am going to be fighting animal urine stains but other than that the room doesn't look too bad. The three bedrooms upstairs I am going to rip up all of the flooring and hope to use the wide plank subfloors as a permanent flooring. The wood paneling I am going to keep and paint it over for now. I considered filling in the gaps with compound to simulate dry wall but for now it is just getting a coat of paint so we can get in as soon as possible. There is old plaster underneath. When I say we are currently on a budget that would be an understatement. Until we sell our current residence $100 is going to be a lot to spend.

The first floor I am going to try and tackle in the Spring. As long as we are upstairs before the snow starts falling I can work my way down the stairs. It is going to be a large but exciting project as I transition out into country living. There is an old barn on the property in great shape as well as a few outbuildings.

If anyone has any ideas or inputs and also some stuff to keep an eye out for I am all ears. I know it is going to be difficult to put forth much input without photos so I will do my best to get them up. Is it possible for old linoleum to have asbestos? I hear all the time about old tile but never linoleum. This stuff has a black underside but other than that I can't tell you much about it.
Deppizzymo

Re: Moving in and getting to work - Old farm house

Postby JohnnyQuest » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:17 am

Try to save those older floors. They will take a lot of abuse, and odds are good they can be sanded for a fraction of the price of replacing.

Good luck with it!
JohnnyQuest

Postby Joel » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:16 am

Suggestion: Live in it awhile before you make major changes. It's funny how you change your mind after being in it through a season or two. Also, even if your linoleum has asbestos, it's pretty safe to tear out as long as you don't sand it. Linoleum is not a "friable" material.
Joel

Postby Sacto Diane » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Deppizzymo wrote:Is it possible for old linoleum to have asbestos? I hear all the time about old tile but never linoleum.

If it's linoleum then it does not have any asbestos. Real Linoleum was made from a jute backing with linseed and other natural ingredients but no asbestos. Thar being said, the adhesives used depending on the time frame might have asbestos. Since it;s in the adhesive, the asbestos is not friable meaning that you won't get stray fibers unless you decided to sand. There are a couple of options depending on the situation.
Sacto Diane

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum