Paint scheme dilemma 1920s Craftsman Bungalow

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

eclecticcottage

Paint scheme dilemma 1920s Craftsman Bungalow

Post by eclecticcottage »

So I am in the process of buying this gem:

AS much as I HATE the term, it is a "flip". My goal is preserve the character as much as possible. It has some replacement windows already (some vinyl, some aluminum) and some damaged original windows. I am at a point of replacing the originals with vinyl (yes, I know, but it's a business decision-the original sashes that are salvagable will be saved and resold). The siding is ugly but I'm sure everyone knows what it is. I can either remove it or cover it-or leave it. However, the dormers will need to be resided or covered so the roof can be properly flashed this time (it is not and is leaking-I am putting on a new tear off roof). So I am stuck with modern (vinyl) siding types-4 over 4 makes me think of a cape, dutch lap is just no, DH thinks shake isn't period correct and I say scallops aren't. I have to leave this to a contractor, so it's probably going to be the double 4 or the double 6 (I think that's the wider version).

Now on to my issue. I hate all the white. It becomes a big blob and details like the brackets are lost. I found an older photo before some windows were replaced and they were the classic color scheme-white trim and black window sashes. With vinyl windows, the windows will be white. So I was thinking of reversing it-black trim, white windows. Then do black drip edge (the roof will be "charcoal") to give it a crisp definition, and possibly paint the brackets black. I'm not a fan of the white, but it will be winter and I won't be able to paint all of the white that is existing (all of the overhangs are done in white vinyl, the porch and columns are white, etc). What are everyone's opinions on the black and white with the brick? My only other option is to just leave it all white and I think that's just rather plain. I know I don't have a painted lady here, but I don't want to lose the detail that does exist. I just can't find many photos of brick craftsmans with the gable ends sided. Iv'e tried photoshop but the results look terrible-and I think it's my skills vs the actual colors.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)