Best Floor for Kitchen

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Best Floor for Kitchen

Postby awl » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:15 am

We are planning on renovating the large, eat-in kitchen of our circa 1900 home. However we are exploring the best ideas of flooring for a kitchen in a home of this age. The original floors are 5 inch wide Heart Pine floors, nailed directly to the floor joists (no subfloor) which are currently buried underneath a layer of 1970s linoleum, plywood, and finally a layer of 1940s linoleum. Would attempting to refinish these heart pine floors be a durable option for a kitchen of today? Or should we explore other ideas such as engineered wood, new hardwood, or laminate. We are looking for durability.
awl

Re: Best Floor for Kitchen

Postby caroline » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:36 am

Hi,
I think laminate flooring is the best option for the kitchen. This kind of flooring is durable and stains or scratches can easy to clean.
Thanks!!
caroline

Postby marksmith » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi, Caroline,
I totally agree with you, laminate flooring is the best option for the kitchen. Recently, I have renovated my kitchen usnig the same.
It is very easy to clean.
Thanks!!
marksmith

Postby qtmason » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:59 am

caroline wrote:Hi,
I think laminate flooring is the best option for the kitchen. This kind of flooring is durable and stains or scratches can easy to clean.
Thanks!!

I agree that laminate flooring is certainly durable but you have to wipe any liquid spills immediately. In any case, laminate tiles and planks are easy to replace.
qtmason

Postby hasan5525 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 am

I agree with you.I am also thinking about this
hasan5525

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum