One room in old house too cold or too hot.

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

One room in old house too cold or too hot.

Postby Cliff » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Hey, I've got one room in old house on the second floor that is either too cold or too hot. It is the only room with a gravity vent... that doesn’t seem to function very well. We keep the door to that room shut alot and I am wondering if an air transfer grille over the door would help? I have posted a "blueprint" of the house layout and supply/returns. Red boxes are the supplies. What do you think? I would add another supply but the way the house is setup it would be tricky to do without it impeding in the living space which I would rather not do. Hoping to sort this out another way.
Attachments
s18p47.png
s18p47.png (415.32 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
sears carlin
Cliff

Re: One room in old house too cold or too hot.

Postby Joel » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Usually a door undercut of 3/4" or so is adequate to act as a transfer for the amount of air needed to heat/cool a room. Is there an undercut? I'm not sure you're going to gain much with a transfer grille. Is the gravity vent transferring to the living room?
Joel

Postby Cliff » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 pm

There isn’t really much of an undercut plus the bedroom is carpeted which sort of blocks the undercut some anyways. Yes, the gravity vent transfers to the living room, above the supply vent that faces the porch.
sears carlin
Cliff

Postby Cliff » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Any other ideas out there?
sears carlin
Cliff

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum