dcsimg

seal storm pane on 1965 Andersen casement window?

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

seal storm pane on 1965 Andersen casement window?

Postby BettyRubble on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:28 am

BACKGROUND INFO:
I have the original 1965 Andersen casement windows on my home. The storm pane is an interior removable glass pane with an aluminum frame.

Earlier in autumn, I pulled a few to clean the windows, and I noticed that the aluminum frame is loose: it pulls easily away from the glass.

Now that the weather is getting cold, we see condensation building up between the storm pane and the exterior pane. That tells us the damp, moist air inside is leaking out. Also, there is damage to the varnish finish on the interior of the sash, and now I know why.

This is a new-to-me house, and I don't really understand these windows. The exterior pane is set into what looks like a tightly fitted slot around the entire sash, without glazing putty.

QUESTION:
I am inclined to run a bead of clear silicone around the interior of the frame of the storm panes, for a start. Good idea? Bad? Seeking advice from the community.

POSSIBLY USEFUL INFO:
We had a utility-sponsored Energy Star contractor out to insulate and seal the house. It's tight: blower fan testing shows we went from over 4,000 cubic feet of air movement before weatherizing to 400 after.

The sashes and frames of these windows are in very good shape: with the exception of two windows (they suffered water damage from a bad gutter which we fixed), they are plumb, rot-free, and seal well.
BettyRubble

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum