Page 1 of 1

Old fuel tank or old french drain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:08 pm
by MrandMrsL
We purchased our 1915-ish Craftsman a few months ago and finally got around to cleaning up the washed out flower beds. When we cleaned up the tree debris and washed out dirt/mulch in the driveway/flowerbed we discovered a large concrete border. In the concrete border is a big pipe. It only goes down about 6" and then it looks like it goes left and right - like an upside-down T. We thought it might be a french drain because it's right where the roof line ends, but when I showed pictures to a friend he suggested it was an old fuel tank. He said he owned a home in the area a long time ago that had a similar hole. What do you think it is? I can't find any pipe where a french drain might dump water, but I also can't find any vent pipe for a fuel tank. If it is a fuel tank is there a way to know if it's been properly decommissioned?

Re: Old fuel tank or old french drain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:51 am
by DLW86
Hi, just wondering if you have any updates on this situation? We recently moved into a 1950’s house and I noticed a lone pipe in our front flower bed as well. I also cannot find a vent pipe for a possible fuel tank.