pix of 1941 home

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

jenn

pix of 1941 home

Post by jenn »

this is the home, you can see the nice big home behind it in the garage pic, i think that home may be gothic, which also looks misplaced among the victorian homes, but also is a beautiful home. if anyone knows the style of this 1941 home, i can't wait to hear from you!

Raisinette
Location: Washington State, midway between Portland & Seattle

Post by Raisinette »

Hi, Jenn. Where is that house? Are you sure of the date? I would casually call it a modern bungalow. It does not appear typical of 30's type houses. Somewhere it seems to straddle between that and post-war modern housing. Your area looks quite rural. (Looks can be deceiving.)

jenn

Post by jenn »

that home is located in/near the Rockton area of Amsterdam NY, and it is surounded by HUGE victorian homes. It's actually smack dab in the city, all be it a nice area, and the lot is about a half acre, The MLS sheet said it was 65 years old. and a realator i spoke with said the roof was made of conccrete and the basement is built "like a bomb shelter", she said the whole home is constructed of concrete and steel. thats about all i know of the home so far, i am going to look take a closer look at it with my relator on wednsday, perhaps i can find out some more. thanks for the reply!

The Gingerbread Man

Post by The Gingerbread Man »

My 2 cents says post war "cold war" era. Especially with the concrete roof and basement. Of course that may not fit the 1941 date.
I have seen this type of thing alot in Victorian neighborhoods. The owner of a large lot sold off some dirt and someone put up a current modern style. Keep us updated with progress. Did you have it inspected before purchase?

jenn

Post by jenn »

I havent purchased it as of yet, im still in the process of looking at it, and also looking at MANY other homes...what a process this is! wasn't this hard the first time around! lol thank for the input!

Iowa4Square

Post by Iowa4Square »

It looks like a small International Style house, with the flat roof, narrow windows flanking the entry, unornamented exterior, and windows that extend around the corners. We have a couple of these dating to the 1930s in our town . It could be later, though I would expect it to be more of a traditional ranch style if it was built after WW2.

Nancy W

Post by Nancy W »

It looks somewhat similar to houses built neat Patuxent River Naval Air Station in my county. Pax. River was quickly constructed once WWII began. This county was VERY rural and isolated then, with no housing available for base employees. A mixture of duplex and single family house were built just outside the base gate. They are very reminesent of this one. They were built in the early 40's

Don M

Post by Don M »

I'm wondering if the slightly sloped roofs are original or if they were flat when the house was first constructed? Flat roofs are especially prone to leaks especially in snow country. Even with the slight pitch I wonder if leaks may be a problem? Nice house in any case. Don

jenn

Post by jenn »

I am going to look at this house today at 5 so I will know a bit more about it then, hopefully i can take some inside pix as well. About the roof, i do not know, but I will probly find out today...It really is a interesting little house, there are none other like it around here that I know of. thanks to all who gave some input!

jenn

Post by jenn »

thanks to everyone who shared their ideas, but this house was a no go! too small, too chopped up, and the whole thing is concrete and steel beams. too much work to make it what we are lookin for! thanks for everyones time!