remodeling; addition to log home

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

vwaryas

remodeling; addition to log home

Post by vwaryas »

Looking for online plans or achitect to draw plans to add to log home. Having trouble since unique supporting characteristics of log walls. House is not known kit company product and we are not original owners.
Would like to have addition go out the front and to the side so continuity to structure is important.
Would be interested in viewing remodeled log homes to get an idea.

franklyspeaking

Post by franklyspeaking »

If you are utilizing an existing door to make the connection, this would simplify matters. Most any home designer could design something like this. Are you wanting to do the add on with logs, or are you going to use more conventional building materials? I have seen log homes added onto with conventional framing and rustic/matching/coordinating exterior siding and/or stone. Adding a log addition would be difficult from several standpoints...1) It would be a custom thing and probably could only be done with logs similar to what is on it now. 2) Not many craftsmen out there who do things like build log homes from scratch. Most log homes constructed nowadays are kits and are stand alone units. 3) Even if you could talk a company into creating a custom add on package, it likely wouldn't match your home.

Good luck!
Jerry

S

Post by S »

Where are you located? My father designed his own log home & is a structural engineer - if I ask, he might be able to name some contacts in the midwest. I'd tend to respectfully disagree about using any home designer. I've learned, log construction has its own issues.

Here is one link to get you started: http://www.voyageurloghomes.com

vwaryas

LOG HOUSE REMODELING

Post by vwaryas »

We have had lots of offers to attach addition to the back of the house; but, we'd like to go out the front.
Loved our house until we retired then dark living,dining, kitchen area needs a bump out the front of the house to add light and room.
Because the log wall supports the roof we can't get too crazy and having someone whacking walls without architect or engineer looking at structure is just asking for trouble.
We're 25 miles south and east of Lynchburg Virginia. I will definitely go to website listed in your response. Thanks for your input.
Regards