Oh peaches...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Oh peaches...

Postby wletson on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:12 pm

KathyJB wrote:time for a larger electricity bill

Ah, Kathy, I was hoping you were putting up some electric fencing like they use around cattle meadows! That'd definitely get a peeper's attention! : :twisted:
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby KathyJB on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 pm

I do have several cattle prods :twisted: I gave it a good soak this morning(orange tree), but it still looks droopy.

I just don't think it's deer. I don't see any footprints either man or beast because of the mulch. Warren has some old traps of his dads, maybe we can set some of those out. It probably won't catch a foot, but it would scare the crap out of them.
KathyJB

Postby artfox on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:58 pm

Having your fruit trees stripped! Dealing with a peeper! Not good!!!!

The electrician who rewired my house strongly suggested that I install motion sensor floodlights in a couple of places on the corners of my house, so I did. That sudden blaze of light has scared more than one uninvited nighttime visitor away from my house and truck. Of course, they don't go with an authentic '30's bungalow restoration, but I feel a lot safer.

BTW, the commercial Hill Country peach crop in Texas was pretty much wiped out by a late freeze this year - I sure missed those sweet little gems. Any Texans who have peaches on their trees this year are truly blessed.
artfox

Postby mgb1234 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Hey I will trade you 5 of the sweetest orange trees this side of the border for one peach tree 8)

If I eat a orange it gives me a cold the next day :cry: but the neighbors do say that they are the best around.
1915 Dormitory
mgb1234

Postby KathyJB on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:23 pm

I have a motion sensor light on my back door along with the "stay on all the time" light on the garage which faces the back door. I have a motion sensor light on my south side that has 3 very bright lights, then on the west side is a porch light that puts out pretty good light. They all go on. When my northeast neighbor is home, their flood lights light up the north side otherwise there is just a tiny area the other two lights don't light up. All curtains are drawn it goes without saying.
There was a sheriff's officer in town earlier on a report of someone abusing a puppy. We told him where the slime lived that owned the poor baby and I asked if there had been any reports of peepers, he said no, but at least they know now. I told him thank goodness for the Texas Castle Law, he just kinda laughed and said yah. I love Texas. :wink:
KathyJB

Postby pqtex on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:51 am

A friend kept complaining of a theft of her pears. She said this happened year after year. Her tree would be loaded with pears, and poof! They were gone. She believed they were being stolen. Then one time she caught the thieves red-handed. It was a large family of raccoons. They cleaned her out. I wasn't sure I believed that a family of raccoons could make off with the entire crop of pears, but this summer I saw how much they could eat. My mother had a pair of half-grown raccoons feeding on her pears. They literally stayed under her tree for hours eating pears. They would occasionally climb the tree for a nap, then come back down to eat some more. At least they were eating the ones on the ground the squirrels had cut loose instead of the ones still on the tree.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby KathyJB on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:00 am

Has anyone heard that Possums like to eat oranges?
KathyJB

Postby mgb1234 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:12 am

I have possums and they do not seem to bother the oranges,it is the fruit rats that are a pita they pick the fruit and climb up the vent stack into the attic and much down which is really not all that bad until they start coming into my domain then they meet Mr Trap. :)
1915 Dormitory
mgb1234

Postby S Melissa on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:26 am

Sounds like there's a market for more of these! 4-legged or 2 legged varmits be warned!! :D
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby KathyJB on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:28 pm

Melissa I love that sign, where on earth did you get it? IT looks aged which would be perfect for my front yard.
KathyJB

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum