dcsimg

Bathroom Pics...

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Bathroom Pics...

Postby msteinen on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:47 am

OK, my turn.

When we moved in, our house had only 1 bathroom. This is it. We added the shower ring to the clawfoot tub. It used to have a window on the back wall, but we lost that when we added to the back of the house. Instead we added an operable skylight, which was one of the smartest things we did. Love the skylight...I think it gives more light than the window did. You can't tell that from the photo, because it's 8 am on a cloudy morning, but the light is glorious on a sunny day. The toilet is on the far side of the tub, hidden by the shower curtain. A friend gave me the pine corner cabinet, so we now have storage in there.

When we did our renovations a couple of years ago, we divided a 9x9 bedroom into a smallish master bathroom and a hallway leading to a new master bedroom. The master bath is about 6x9 and has a shower only, no tub. The sink is 100+ years old. It's my favorite ebay score of all times. I even love that the legs don't match.

We also added a powder room on the first floor. It's really hard to get a decent picture because the room is small, but we got an old salvaged sink for there too:

So that's our bathrooms. More rooms to follow on another day!
1905 foursquare
msteinen

Postby S Melissa on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Those are great bathrooms - love the leggy sink and great tile selections too! For "new" bathrooms - you did a great job!
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby Theresa on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 pm

This is my Maxfield Parrish bathroom. The walls are done with pure pthalo blue tint mixed into a clear glaze and applied with a stipple brush which gives it a subtle texture. I'm not sure if I like the clouds on the right hand wall - I may paint over them one of these days.

Theresa
Huntley, Illinois
http://www.theresabrandon.com
Theresa

Postby KathyJB on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:20 pm

msteinen, nice bathrooms. I love everything about them.

Theresa, that blue in your bathroom matches the sky in your background picture. Brilliant.
KathyJB

Postby pqtex on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:21 pm

msteinen wrote: The master bath is about 6x9 and has a shower only, no tub.

I really like your shower faucet. My shower has been out of commission while I ponder which faucets to buy to replace the old ones. Do you mind telling me what brand, model, and where you got it?

I also really like your color combos for walls and trim. Very nicely done.

Jill
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby utopia13 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:53 am

Wow...what great bathrooms!!!

msteinen...I love all the cool old fixtures and hardware...and tile...and this and that & all of it! I especially love that big sink! Oh to have that much room in my bath!

Theresa...that is a pretty bathroom too! What kind of floor is in there?? Also...is that lincrusta on the walls??!!! Very pretty! How do you deal with the humidity of a bath with that stuff? Just wondering how it's treated.

I love seeing all these, as I need ideas for the amazingly ugly bathroom I currently have :twisted: . Seriously, it doesn't get a whole lot nastier than mine right now.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby wletson on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:57 am

utopia13 wrote:I need ideas for the amazingly ugly bathroom I currently have

What? No pictures?!? :D

Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby utopia13 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:17 am

I have several posted on the boards, but here's the mess I found under my painted walls in the shower. I have since (just as a band-aid for now) scraped all these layers off, screened the walls, sanded, then after removing all the dust & such, put one coat of KILZ, one coat of oil based primer, 2 coats of oil based white paint & re calked all the edges. At least now I don't have the 360 degree shower liner.

I've been scraping paint in this room off & on for a while. If only the PO would have left it alone, but the flat paint "refresh" all over the walls & ceiling have turned this room into a nightmare!! As the humidity peels away those top layers of paint, I get in there with a wide scraper & remove another 6 or so sq ft off. I curse him every time I do this.

This is how the shower enclosure & about 4' around the rest of the room looked. It was fine for something like 90 years with the oil paint below... (just imagine without the ugly flat tan paint)
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby Theresa on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:50 am

utopia13 wrote:
Theresa...that is a pretty bathroom too! What kind of floor is in there?? Also...is that lincrusta on the walls??!!! Very pretty! How do you deal with the humidity of a bath with that stuff? Just wondering how it's treated.

The floor is modern octagon and dot tile in black and white. The wall paper border is embossed paper painted with latex. There haven't been any problems with it in the humidity (probably because the bathroom is so drafty that the humidity escapes quickly!).
Theresa
Huntley, Illinois
http://www.theresabrandon.com
Theresa

Postby Kansas. 1911. on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Here are both our bathrooms.

Main floor half bath is 5 x 5 and has a 10' ceiling. In the original house, it was the butler's pantry but was converted to a bad, bad half bath in 1949.

I got our carpenter to make a non-working transom-ish window. Love it. Can't tell this used to be a solid wall, can you?

I drew the vanity on a napkin and he made it, too. The top of cherry wood sits on a copper sink. The toilet sits just to the right. If you've seen one, you've seen them all.

On to the full bath. I designed this and chose the items. Husband refinished the dresser, and just nodded his head when I said what I wanted/liked. Carpenter did the baseboards, etc., to look original, and made the medicine "chest".
As you enter, you see my grandmother's wedding dresser.

Then you see the entire bathroom. Keep you eye on the half-wall which looks like a room divider.

Voila, it is not a room divider after all. It is a rolling medicine "chest." It backs up to the toilet's back. I'm serious, even those 2-3 inches behind the toilet tank were not to be wasted.

On to the shower area... I heard that grey is the hot decorator color this year.

Back in 1949, the owner make our full bath into two COMPLETE bathrooms, both 5 x 7. In 2007, we restored it to its original size. But we kept the door to the master bedroom. There is also a door to the hall.

Isn't it funny how we have to design around ALL of the quirks? We had two doors, one big window, and one chimney, yet we have to get all the necessary parts of a bathroom fit in, also.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage
Kansas. 1911.

PreviousNext

Return to The Picture Forum