dcsimg

drop ceilings on plaster - add fan

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: drop ceilings on plaster - add fan

Postby moonshadow317 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Yeah,
I agree with Kurt. What your co worker plans on doing doesn't sound safe to me. A ceiling fan needs a sturdy mount as the vibration of the fan will eventually shake it loose and it will come crashing down :shock: hopefullly not on someone's head :shock: :shock: :shock:
Also your wires look pretty darn scary to me, maybe you need an Electrician if you don't "have a clue" Just sayin
Karen
moonshadow317

Postby bridgeboy on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi Kurt,
OK I am starting to listen. I got my hands dirty and here's the weirdity:

1. existing 5" diameter hole is centered around an old gas pipe that goes up to the floorboards almost and then sideways. It hangs down to about the level of the drywall drop.

2. edge of existing hole tangential to a joist (to which the gas line is further bolstered)

3. I had a safety-brace that you stick up in the hole and expand out to the joist, but the instructions imply that you need to have the hole halfway between joists so you are using the center of the brace - no can do without shifting over 8 inches away from the center of the room

4. I measured and the existing hole is just about center of the room but we could go a _little_ one way or the other and it would be hard to tell - not sure if 8" (13' x 13.5' room) would made a difference

5. next joist is 16" over (never know)

So, rereading Kurt's options, we have:
a. tack onto the joist that is right there, and by a medallion about 10-12" in diameter - would look ok - it would hide the old hole - and the old gas pipe could be worked around

or

b. wide the existing hole away from the center of the room to the next joist over, up goes the safe-t-brace a few inches down from the intruding gas pipe - hire a drywall crew who might let a nub of the gas pipe show if it does come down that far, no biggie

(a) sounds pretty good, does it not?

Thanks,
Dan
1910 Post-Victorian Farmhouse
bridgeboy

Postby khwils on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:56 am

Dan,

Ok, now wait a minute. You are now saying you have a joist right there?? I thought your co-worker was trying to move it over to a joist? If you have a joist right there then attach a ceiling box right to it. Can we get another picture, I'm guessing you've widened the hole? I'd remove part of the gas line, it's uncapped right? You can get a close quarters plumbing cutter in there.

Kurt
khwils

Postby bridgeboy on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:47 pm

The left-right wood peeking out is lathe - the up-down one is full joist (with a little extra board nailed to it to help support the gas pipe). The pipe hangs down but not past the drop-ceiling part. I could ask about the ability to cut it back, which would be nice. I hope one joist is solid enough to hang a fan/light from.

Thanks,
Dan
Attachments
better_version.jpg
better_version.jpg (778.05 KiB) Viewed 6155 times
1910 Post-Victorian Farmhouse
bridgeboy

Postby thomas4square on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:30 pm

The way they did it in one room in my house was just screwed an extender onto the gas pipe and attached a metal ceiling box to the end of the pipe. As long as the pipe is supported in the ceiling, ie doesnt move now, then it should support the weight of a newer ceiling fan. I am sure the weight of an old gas fixture was similar or heavier than that of the modern day ceiling fan.
thomas4square

Postby kevinpham on Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:21 am

What is your experience when buying a ceiling fan. Can you share? And what is the best price do you suggest?
Thanks.

-----
Outdoor ceiling fans with lights - Bathroom exhaust fan with light
kevinpham

Postby Sunny564 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:34 am

nice thread...
Sunny564

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum