dcsimg

Exterior of your home pics

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Exterior of your home pics

Postby gregV on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Kansas. 1911. wrote:Gregory,
I just went to your website. All I can say is, "Wow." You have a specialty, a niche, and your finishes are amazing.

Thanks very much. :)
gregV

Postby CathleenGoode on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:39 pm

The Goode Home in Red Bank, NJ
Attachments
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (597.85 KiB) Viewed 7583 times
CathleenGoode

Postby gregV on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:51 am

CathleenGoode wrote:The Goode Home in Red Bank, NJ

Pretty. :)
gregV

Postby chek on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Hello all,
Soon, we will be a proud owner of a 1925 house. My husband and I will about to close on this property at the end of March and it is being redone. The picture I am attaching is an old photo from the listing (when it was sold to the seller last year). The seller/contractor had signed our offer, so I am very close to owning my dream house. Well, some friends may be surprised. They thought that I was joking when I used to tell them that I am waiting an antique house to be on the sale block. While all of them are so fascinated with new houses, I am drawn to older houses.

Before making this decision, I have read a lot of your posts and so thrilled to find out that there exist a group who are committed to maintaining an old house. The interior of this house (at present) is a mess. Some walls (plaster) were torn down and replastered. There's also complete re-insulation going on. The roof replacement was just recently completed. The property wasn't our agent's first choice for us. She showed us a new construction house; but this house caught my attention -- fortunately it was also for sale. My husband couldn't believe his ears when I told the agent that I want to go inside the house. The agent told us that it's messy and it's not a good time to show it. Nevertheless, we went in. Upon stepping in, I said, the size is just perfect. I was warned though that it does not have a walk-in closet, rooms are smaller, and the basement has a 6'2" ceiling height (my husband wanted a family room in the basement.) I toured the house; amidst its flaws, I fell in love with it.

Tonight I decided to join the forum and ask you questions in the future. This is our first home and we are very excited to move in. :D
Attachments
Fireplace_house.jpg
Fireplace_house.jpg (3.71 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
1925 House.jpg
1925 House.jpg (5.95 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
chek

Postby melissakd on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm

chek wrote:I was warned though that it does not have a walk-in closet

Well how the heck do you expect to survive in such primitive conditions??? :wink:

Hello and welcome. You're already a seasoned old-house owner: you've got friends who thought you must be kidding and a real estate agent who was certain you'd prefer something new, and most of all, you said

"amidst its flaws, I fell in love with it"

and that's as eloquent an expression of what we're all doing here as I've seen in a while.

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby CountryMomAli on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi everyone! I am new here, just found the site yesterday. I have been looking for photos of Dutch Colonial Revival houses. We bought ours 4 years ago, here are a couple pics of the outside.
Attachments
our house.jpg
Our house 2 years ago when it needed a new roof (notice blue tarp lol)
our house.jpg (297.59 KiB) Viewed 7281 times
christmashouse.jpg
Our house at Christmas
christmashouse.jpg (139.71 KiB) Viewed 7279 times
Fixing up our 1915 Dutch Colonial Revival home one room at a time...
CountryMomAli

Postby OldSckool on Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:46 pm

Wow there are some amazing houses in this thread.
OldSckool

Postby stuart45 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:38 pm

I really like these old American houses, loads of individual character.
Been building an extension on mine for the last 6 months. It already had an ugly flat roof one put on in the 70's. I've put a bit more on the end and added a piched roof over the flat one. Hope it improves the looks a bit as well as adding a bit of space to a small cottage.
phppZffriAM.jpg
phppZffriAM.jpg (95 KiB) Viewed 6670 times
phpwig9o8AM.jpg
phpwig9o8AM.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 6667 times
stuart45

Postby cs on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Slate AND Thatch? Pretty! Thatch, of course, we don't have over here. How do you like it?

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

Postby stuart45 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Thatch is great until you have to pay for repairs. 1ft of thatch has the same u value as 6 inches of fibreglass. A new ridge last year cost me £900.
When I applied for planning permission the planners didn't want a thatched roof as they wanted the extension to be 'subservient' to the main cottage.
stuart45

PreviousNext

Return to The Picture Forum