dcsimg

Post Hole Digger - need a crash course

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Post Hole Digger - need a crash course

Postby moonshadow317 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:08 pm

We just dug 30- 2 foot deep post holes using the manual clam shaped one. No problem...it's ours to keep and we could take our time. If you go with the manual one, get a long pointy metal rod to help dig out any rocks you might come across.
Karen
moonshadow317

Postby melissakd on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:00 pm

This isn't terribly relevant, and frankly, it might be too much information for the guys here, but ladies? Every time I think of post hole diggers, I think of the gynecologist. :(

And now you will too, bwahahahahaaaaa

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby James on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:46 am

Kristen, I loved that show. I have the entire run on CD, as well as the movie they made after it was cancelled. And I remember that episode very well.
Never used the gas powered kind of post hole diggers, just the manual. Every other fall I am out putting up four by eight campaign signs with those things.
Some women can't seem to manage those very well, or maybe they just don't want to and use that as an excuse to get somebody else to do it for them(I hope my sister reads this, but she won't).
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby catya on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:26 am

Melissa, I believe you are referring specifically to the "clamshell" type of digger - same general idea - LOL.

I happened to find one of the corkscrew type and will give that a try. The whole thing about how to space the holes accurately and squarely is a whole nother question - are the powered ones better or easier in that regard?
catya

Postby catya on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:31 am

James there are certain things that are designed for giant people with extremely long arms (i.e. men). A toilet auger is one. I just cannot get that thing to work because my arms just don't do what they're supposed to do. Its not a matter of strength but leverage and being able to get the tool into the right position. Could be this hole digger thing is similar in that regard.
catya

Postby lavender_bush on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for that thought MKD, at least these days they're made of plastic not metal :shock:

We have a manual hole digger - he's called 'Kenny' and he lives down the street :lol:

He works for our local power company manually installing poles a daily basis, so when we needed 8 x 4ft deep holes dug for our deck? It took him less than a day to dig all 8. The next day he came back to help install the tubes and concrete. DH had rented a concrete mixer but Kenny could mix a wheelbarrow full in half the time.

He's a small guy but has the most amazing muscles - he works for a bottle of whisky 8)
lavender_bush

Postby James on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:46 am

Now that is what I would call a good neighbor, and cheap help to boot. Wish he lived down the road from me.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby Danno on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am

melissakd wrote:This isn't terribly relevant, and frankly, it might be too much information for the guys here, but ladies? Every time I think of post hole diggers, I think of the gynecologist. :(

And now you will too, bwahahahahaaaaa

MKD

OMG, They use a giant auger on you at the OBGYN?!?!?!?!?
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."
Danno

Postby melissakd on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Danno wrote:OMG, They use a giant auger on you at the OBGYN?!?!?!?!?

Words are barely adequate to describe the horror. If women were men, we probably just wouldn't go. Ask Mrs. Danno to explain it to you. (Try to refrain from breaking the tension afterward with a "humorous" proposition involving giant augers, "drilling," etc.)

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum