You know you're an old house owner if ...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby Vivian on Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:24 am

......when you husband asks you what you want for your anniversary and you REALLY DO want a silent paint stripper....

......you modify your trips through town to include driving down alleys you wouldn't otherwise visit....

......you just spent 5 hours on your CAD program trying to find a way to get the clawfoot bathtub in the basement back into the 2nd floor powder room....

......you don't get new glasses because you don't want to spend the $300 on something so silly....

......antique slate roof tiles make you hot

......when you live on the brightest, busiest, loudest corner in town--and can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else (including on vacation!)...

......the words "newell post lamp" mentioned in casual conversation keep you up until well past midnight working on your budget so that you might actually afford one before you die.....

......"light" reading is the Rejuvenations catalog....

This was fun! Thanks to the original poster.....Vivian
Margaritas, my porch, be there!
Vivian

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:22 pm

You have stood motionless in your kitchen (bathroom, basement, diningroom - you fill in the blank) for an hour just staring up (or down).....wondering what the heck it looked like originally.

Postby sharonk on Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:39 pm

You look in the real estate ads for houses that look just like your house so you can get inside to see if they have an orginal layout...

In fact, you will use any opportunity to get inside another old house to look around to see the woodwork and layout...and what did they do to the kitchen? My favourite outings are the local old homes tours (will go to nearby cities for this one) and local real estate open houses...Christmas concerts...fundraisers...you name it. Also like walking through neighbourhoods pointing out - "Look there's our French door...did you see that door casing...back up a sec...nice wall colour...!"

Your "entertainment budget" is spent on Thai take out because you are too tired to go out and shop or cook...
sharonk

Postby kristen russell on Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:02 pm

...You give up all necessities to afford the antiques/ hardware/ light fixtures that "your house told you it wanted"...

...You get told by coworkers and friends that you don't know how to relax, have fun, or take a weekend off.

...You constantly ponder other ways things could have been done in your house....

...Your idea of "fun" is pouring some wine in plastic cups and walking around the neighborhoods at night with your s.o., peeking into other people's windows.

...You own every current old house book, and subscribe to about 7 different magazines that are old house and antique related...

...You aspire to purchase an even dumpier house next time, to take on new challenges and feel the sense of reward that you've saved it.

...When someone tells you he/she just bought a house, the first question you ask is "how old is it?" And if it's new you're not nearly as intrigued.

...You'd rather have things that are "true to the period" than state-of-the-art.

..You'd never buy a new house because, well, it wouldn't be the same and you couldn't use the boards on this site.
Last edited by kristen russell on Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
kristen russell

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:30 pm

Boy, this thread is really spooky. It is amazing how many items listed here actually take place in my own life. Either I'm not as weird and different as I thought, or there are a lot of people out there that are just as weird and different as me.

Greg

de ja vu

Postby valewil on Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:13 pm

I hear ya, there are times when I have looked around the house wondering what it looked like originally... and I also look at the real estate section for houses that look like mine so I can go visit the open houses. And the magazines...

It must be a sickness..
valewil

Postby mwalker on Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:20 am

....any time an old house interior shows up in a movie you're watching, you immediately analyze the set design for ideas (and are most pleased when the light fixtures look like yours - communicated as a nudge to your partner).

Reading this thread and all the shared experience, I conclude that we must be acting on a very strong instinct! It has to do with shelter of course (in which case I always wonder whether a bird finding a twig for its nest feels the same thrill that I might bringing home an unexpected "find") but also something more - a need to connect with the past and its myseries, a vision for how the future could be, a desire to preserve things that nourish the soul ....
Mary
mwalker

Postby sharonk on Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:31 pm

I still remember some movies (an TV shows) more for the house that was in them than for the plot. Does anyone else remember a move from the mid 80s called Cutter and Bone? The woman in the movie lived in a beautiful California bungalow. I remember I was also intrigued by her decor - must try to rent the video for that one....

Other favourites - The Age of Innocence - that dinner scene!

Just about any Merchant Ivory production. I think I saw my reproduction Blue Quail dinnerware "below stairs" on a kitchen dresser when I was straining to see how the dresser and kitchen cabinets were framed...
sharonk

Postby Guest on Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:46 pm

Movies are a great place to see great houses and buildings. One I'll never forget was sci-fi movie that came out about 6 or 7 years ago called "Twelve Monkeys" staring Madeline Stowe and Bruce Willis (Great movie if you enjoy the paradoxes of time travel). It took place in Baltimore and Philadelphia. Anyway, Madeline Stowe's apartment must have had 15 foot ceilings and these great interior doors that were like 10 or 12 feet tall. There was also a scene in a run down hotel that looked like it was from the turn of the century. In the movie it was a flop-house (rooms by the hour) but the architecture was fantastic.

By far, though, the most impressive movie I have ever seen for architecture was a movie that came out last year called "Russian Ark". It is about an hour and a half long and shot in 1 take! The entire movie takes place the Czar's Winter Palace in St. Petersburg Russia. Opulent beyond belief. The last fifteen minutes are unbelievable. This palace is now known as The Hermitage and is a national museum. I visited there back in the 80s and I recall telling friends on my return that The Hermitage is worth visiting just for the doors, walls, and ceilings...on yea, and it's filled with priceless art work too, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Greg

Postby Guest on Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:43 pm

Oh, and I almost forgot about the greatest TV heroine of all times, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, who lived in a spectacular Craftsman Home.

I guess this is getting a little Of Topic, but what the hell, I needed a break from painting.

Greg

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum