dcsimg

You know you're an old house owner if ...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby Bridget on Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:48 pm

Some commercial just came on TV & I said to my husband, "hey, check out those pocket doors....why would anyone paint them white??"

I then ran to the computer to type it on this thread, but you guys already got to the analyzing movies & television for other old houses.

I also do the slow driving through town at night to see what I can see in the open windows!! Somehow, I never thought to actually GO to the open houses, I do often check out some of the realtor sites that offer 360 degree tours for old houses....hmmm, maybe next weekend!!
Bridget

Postby Mary Alice on Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:39 pm

Some of my earliest childhood memories are of evenings riding in the car with Mom and straining to see through windows in people's old homes to find out what the rooms looked like. I wanted to go right through the windows into the rooms and check everything out! I think it had a lot to do with why I became a decorator. Now I, too, walk and/or ride through our and other neighborhoods to check out the old houses and their interiors.

TV and movies? Everyone who watches either with me knows they're bound to hear my exclaimations about mouldings,doors, house styles, period furnishings, window treatments, and on, and on, and on. I try to hold it in, but.....!

You know you're an old house owner.....when you meet another old house owner, and as you both excitedly talk about all the stuff we talk about when we first meet, the rest of the room goes quiet, and you turn to see the curious stares of the "rest of them" who think we're speaking Martianese!
Mary Alice

You know you're an old house person

Postby kitchenwitch on Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:14 am

if the night before Easter, you're staining the front door instead of cooking and cleaning for the 20 people who are coming to dinner the next day.
kitchenwitch

Postby HB on Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:38 pm

"Your car, despite its size, make or model is used as a truck. "

You guys should have seen the look on the face of the guy at the sawmill when I bought 2 - 14 foot 6 by 6 oak posts from him and proceeded to load them into the back of the Acura Integra. (Well it IS a hatchback)

Or the guy at the steel place when I loaded the 300 lb piece of steel angle into the car that I was going to use to repair a cracked joist.

Or that time I salvaged about 2000 bricks from the building that was being knocked down in town. Took me about 7 trips cause the acura couldn't hold more than 300 bricks at a time cause of the weight..... The contractors thought I was nuts, but I thought they were nuts throwing all those bricks into a hole in the ground.....

Or the time I put a 6 foot piece of bowling alley on the roof rack (to be used as a workbench) that I salvaged after finishing moving the bricks!

You might be an old house person if all of the stuff listed in this thread is something you've done more than once!

HB
HB

You are my kind of people!

Postby Ssuzanne on Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:23 pm

So many posts listed so many of my crazy old house habits.

I so agree about the movies with great houses. In addition to Merchant Ivory movies, or for that matter, ANY period movie - the best are in haunted house movies. I always get more upset when they inevitably burn down :evil: , than for the people who die horrible deaths. Hey - Mrs. Bates had some great woodwork, light fixtures and furniture! :) Great houses in horror movies: The Haunting with Aiden Quinn, Haunting of Hill House, also the recent re-make of same with Catherine Zeta-Jones (what a cool house, although the cherubs were a bit much), Steven King's Rose Red, the way cool Art Nouveau house in Casper the Friendly Ghost, and my favorite was a movie about a very haunted house which starred George C. Scott. I can't remember the name of the movie, just that it was a Victorian house and had a beautiful staircase, with stained glass panels, and woodwork that was to die for. (which GCS did, but they didn't have to burn the house down!)

Which reminds me - some of the best houses in what are/were run down neighborhoods are now funeral parlours. You know - big Victorian mansions. So embarassed to pass them and wonder if you can get in there and look around.
This is a fun thread. I'm so glad there are so many of us out there!
Ssuzanne

Postby Vivian on Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:13 pm

Hey, how about the house in the movie "Stuart Little?" Loved that black and white marble foyer......

....and oh yes, anything Merchant Ivory.....*sigh*
Margaritas, my porch, be there!
Vivian

Postby Bry on Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:00 pm

On a few occasions while watching a film and the actors are in the middle of a major scene, like the most romatic kiss ever between long lost lovers at the end, I have been know to loudly announce, "Oh, my, Gawd, look at that suspended ceiling!" or during a horror film where someone is dying horribly, I have actually been more disgusted by the avacardo green bathroom and shag pile carpets..

Btw, none of the above is a joke, it's all quite serious, and that's what concerns me sometimes...
Bry

Postby charaty on Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:22 pm

....when you lose track of the movie/video/commercial you are watching and couldn't recall anything about the subject if you tried- but you could describe the old houses in it in detail.

.......when you figure out what day is garbage day in the historic district and go 'curbside shopping' then.

......... when little things like not having your septic system oozing onto your front yard mean so much.
charaty

Re: You are my kind of people!

Postby Guest on Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:33 pm

Ssuzanne wrote: ... and my favorite was a movie about a very haunted house which starred George C. Scott. I can't remember the name of the movie, just that it was a Victorian house and had a beautiful staircase, with stained glass panels, and woodwork that was to die for. (which GCS did, but they didn't have to burn the house down!)

That was The Changling - a most excellent movie! And an excellent house - I too was on the edge of my seat when they burned the set/house down to the ground at the end.

Postby sharonk on Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:33 pm

While we're at it, I wonder if anyone knows of any novels where the old house or the renovation plays a part.
There was a woman who wrote a book about the renovation of their Victorian house called Dreaming in the Dust.

I seem to recall a children's book where the father moves them out to the country so he can renovate "a folly"...I think the young heroine's name was Katie John.

Needless to say, I am always on the lookout for novels on these topics...
sharonk

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum