Clear finish question

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Clear finish question

Postby Paladin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:28 pm

Greetings People,

I am putting the finishing touches on a piece of base molding which I stripped, sanded & re-finished. Said molding is around seventy, or so years old and is custom cut cypress. I saw somewhere on line a few weeks ago (And now can't locate) a step-by-step page where the author demonstrated how to apply clear finish without leaving the streak marks of a brush. Does anyone here have any idea how to do this? Thanks
Paladin

Re: Clear finish question

Postby mross_pitt » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm

What kind of clear finish?

Could use lambswool, an old t-shirt, etc.
mross_pitt

Postby Paladin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:38 pm

The minwax polyurethane stuff. Would an old shirt really work? I would think it would absorb most of the product.
Paladin

Postby barrett » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:47 pm

I use sponge brushes to poly my doors, no brush marks!
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Postby wletson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:45 am

Be careful if you use a sponge brush they are prone to leaving bubbles. A cotton rag can certainly work. Wiping on the finish works well, it will take a few extra coats as each one is very thin. Check your local paint store, there are products sold that are specifically for a wipe on application.
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby Paladin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Well thank you for all of the input, I'll post pics as soon as I have some results. By the way, what's with the penguins?
Paladin

Postby sooth » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:33 am

Generally, in an older house, some brush marks add a bit of texture and character. Otherwise, if you want a perfect, flawless finish, spraying is the way to go (but of course, you need to do this outdoors or in a spray booth, and you need a special spray gun and mask).
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby Old_House_Jim » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Agree with Sooth. In old houses there are usually little things that all add up to the correct old house character Things like the right amount of lighting, period colors and, of course, textures. One of those textures is what's often referred to as a "ropey finish." This is a characteristic texture that a carefully brushed on paint or clear finish gives.

This finish was purposeful, not the result of lack of ability. House painters, who also finished hardwoods, were perfectly able to produce a smooth silken finish, but the characteristics of a ropey finish were desirable, then, much as they are now in old homes.

It is actually quite difficult to fully reproduce this finish today, since oil-lead-based paints, which are outlawed, did it so well.

Depending on your goal, new renovation or handsome restoration, that brushed-on finish may add just the right amount of classic "oldness" to your home.
Old_House_Jim

Return to General Discussions Forum