rotary dial phone

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: rotary dial phone

Postby barrett on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Ha- success! Turns out that it just needed a new cord for the handset. Now I'm just waiting for somebody to call me... Even though the mega ringer scares the dog.
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Postby Texas_Ranger on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:13 am

Ah that makes sense!
I kept thinking it had to be more than a clogged cartridge, more like a broken wire. Open connections can cause a multitude of issues with such a phone. I have one where two wires were broken and you couldn't dial any more, just kept getting the dial tone forever, and you couldn't even hang up. I put it on top of a tall (8') armoire because I had no idea how to fix it. Later I dscovered how to read schematics and work with those phones but had forgotten where that phone was. I only re-discovered it because my brother picked it up, the plastic bag it was in ripped and the phone crashed to the floor... I guess in the case of bakelite RIP really does stand for "Rest in pieces". :(

Austrian phones from the 50s have a lot of unique personality, hardly two of them have ringers that actually sound the same!
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby lovesickest on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:30 pm

I think the best thing about the rotary phones is that you don't actually know who is phoning you -- so when you answer -- you say "Hello ?" as opposed to staring at your phone, knowing exactly who is calling, while saying "I'm not going to answer that" or "I'll just text them". Remember the days before call display ? On one hand I don't miss creepy obscene phone calls -- no siree ! -- but way back when communication was completely different...
lovesickest

Postby catgb56 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:58 am

It's funny - I constantly catch myself running for the cordless phone with the caller display instead of just answering the kitchen or foyer phone. My s/o is always making fun of me for that - "why do you have this phone in here if you don't use it?" and he's right...just so use to caller i.d. - should just tak ethe chance and answer like the good ol' days. :-)
"You may say that I'm a dreamer; but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join me and the world will live as one." - John Lennon
catgb56

Postby Texas_Ranger on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:49 am

We've got a separate caller ID box, they used to sell them in Europe when caller ID was new and most phones didn't have it. We mostly only use it for retrieving missed calls/calls on the answering machine (an ancient Panasonic EasaPhone with two full-sized cassette tapes!).
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby lovesickest on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Actual booklet from the 1940's, if any of you still feel uncertain about the correct way to use a telephone:

1139.jpg
1139.jpg (101.56 KiB) Viewed 6280 times

Read the content here:

http://www.retronaut.co/2012/02/how-to- ... e-c-1940s/
lovesickest

Postby cs on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:55 pm

My 13 year old son could use that! I feel as though I have to coach him from the other room when he dials a friend's house:

"ok... say hello and tell them your name." "ok, now ask if Jimmy is there." "ok, now say thank you and good bye"

He seems to think the phone somehow communicates telepathically and actual words are unnecessary. :lol:

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

Postby cberhomengarden on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 pm

That's pretty funny!

cs wrote:My 13 year old son could use that! I feel as though I have to coach him from the other room when he dials a friend's house:

"ok... say hello and tell them your name." "ok, now ask if Jimmy is there." "ok, now say thank you and good bye"

He seems to think the phone somehow communicates telepathically and actual words are unnecessary. :lol:

Chris

I agree Chris, my daughter, who is now 16, still has issues with people comprehending her on the phone. This could be the answer! :lol:
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby Don M on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:42 am

cberhomengarden wrote:That's pretty funny!

cs wrote:My 13 year old son could use that! I feel as though I have to coach him from the other room when he dials a friend's house:

Chris

I agree Chris, my daughter, who is now 16, still has issues with people comprehending her on the phone. This could be the answer! :lol:

Unfortunately I think this is a real problem for a lot of young people; they also don't seem comfortable communicating face to face; they would rather text than actually speak to someone!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby Tujo on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:01 pm

How to make friends with me on the telephone - hang up!
I don't know what it is but I hate talking on the telephone, something about not being
able to see the other person makes it very awkward and unconfortable for me. After a
few minutes I start to feel almost claustraphobic and just have to get off the phone.
Tujo

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum