dcsimg

Oh peaches...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Oh peaches...

Postby pqtex on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:23 pm

No peaches here, either, but I do have pears. Lots of 'em.

I just finished canning the last batch of pear juice. Haven't counted exactly, but I think I put up about 30 quarts. I've also dehydrated some for the first time. Some turned out okay, like candy, others got too dry. I like canning better because my results are more reliable. I canned 11 pints of Pear Mincement (meatless, despite the name!) earlier in the week. I'll use it for pies, baked cookie bars, tarts, and thumbprint cookies. The very last batch of pears goes into Brandied Pear Mincemeat. First time I've used this recipe, and I'm beginning to feel a little like Lucille Ball in her Vitameatavegamin days. I'm not actually using brandy, but a lovely pear liqueur (alas, not homemade) that really brings out the flavor. Hic.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby Texas_Ranger on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Not a single pear this year. Lots of cherries and red currant though, and the apple tree is almost on the ground with fruit. Apparently the lack of pears was caused by untimely frosts this year. The apricot tree on the other hand looks like it's dying. Pity!
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby Daniel Meyer on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:48 pm

The drought killed all but one of our peach trees last summer (and the remaining one is soon to go as well). I'll have to replace them. :(
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby pqtex on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:The drought killed all but one of our peach trees last summer (and the remaining one is soon to go as well). I'll have to replace them. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that! We lost several pine trees to the drought, but none of the other trees seemed to be affected. Our pecan trees produced more than they have in several years. Haven't figured that out yet.

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby Daniel Meyer on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:24 pm

pqtex wrote:
Daniel Meyer wrote:The drought killed all but one of our peach trees last summer (and the remaining one is soon to go as well). I'll have to replace them. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that! We lost several pine trees to the drought, but none of the other trees seemed to be affected. Our pecan trees produced more than they have in several years. Haven't figured that out yet.

Our pecan didn't produce much last year, but it was recovering from the lightning strike. It is nice and green and healthy now. I haven't taken a look to see if it's producing.

The peaches were very old and that played a factor I'm sure. Peach trees are usually good for 20 years production at max, and these had been there much longer than that.

I just need to find a nice variety (or try to grow one from the seeds of the one we like so much), but I understand the nice varieties are grafts and I should just go buy one...
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby pqtex on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:
Our pecan didn't produce much last year, but it was recovering from the lightning strike. It is nice and green and healthy now. I haven't taken a look to see if it's producing.

Don't be surprised if your lightning tree bounces back. One of our trees was struck by lightning in 2007. The event was very similar to the description you wrote when your tree was struck the first time. The bolt split 3 or 4 ways down the trunk, knocking bark onto our porch and house. Then Hurricane Ike in 2008 knocked the entire top out of it. I never dreamed it would survive, much less produce again. This past year the pecans were prolific, and this tree produced some of the tastiest of all the trees. I have over 20 producing pecan trees and a few that don't. Some are very small native pecans, some are grafted varieties. One tree is huge, is probably a couple of hundred years old...no one in my family remembers it producing...ever...but this year it also produced a lot of really good pecans. Almost all of these trees were damaged in some way or another after Hurricane Rita in 2005 and again with Ike in 2008. This is the first time any of them have produced more than a handful of pecans since Hurricane Rita.

pqtex

Postby sooth on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:53 pm

"I taste like peaches too" made me burst out laughing.

If you really have THAT many, consider making a little "honour system" fruit stand. Just a card table, a basket of fruit, and a money jar. One of my neighbours has something like this, and he sells cucumbers, and tomatoes in the summer. There's always the risk that some jerk will steal the money, but this is free surplus fruit, so no big deal.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum