dcsimg

question for old house owners...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: question for old house owners...

Postby Scott2012Pa on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Have a friend here in Penna. who has been in old houses and seen tombstones and graves of previous owners in the basement. Way back, if someone died in the middle of winter they might not have been able to bury them outside if the ground was frozen solid. So they did so in the dirt floor of the basement.
Scott2012Pa

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Scott2012Pa wrote:Have a friend here in Penna. who has been in old houses and seen tombstones and graves of previous owners in the basement. Way back, if someone died in the middle of winter they might not have been able to bury them outside if the ground was frozen solid. So they did so in the dirt floor of the basement.

:shock: wow...and the bodies are still buried in the basement?
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby kathyd on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:02 am

I don't think just someone dying in the house would be a problem. That happens all the time. Now if it was one of those grisly murder scenes or something like Amityville Horror, I would think again.

Don't know if I would want to live in a former funeral home either. Although there is one not far from here that was sold recently. I haven't been by it lately to see what's going on. It has a "sister house" close by that I've been in. It's a super house that I would love to have. I wonder what kind of shape it's twin, the former funeral home, is in. I'll have to take some photos later.
kathyd

Postby utopia13 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:52 pm

I think I'd be surprised if any of my Peeps hadn't died in the house. Can't imagine they'd all go to a hospital...especially during the depression era.

I do wonder sometimes if they had the viewing in the front room.... :?
Last edited by utopia13 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby bofusmosby on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:38 pm

Back in the old day, more people died at home than in a hospital. I believe that there were at least 2 deaths in my house. One for sure. The wife and I will see and hear things from time to time, but that's OK, that adds to the character and history. I don't mind, they don't make a mess like I do. :D Can somebody say "GHOSTS"? :lol: :lol:
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!
bofusmosby

Postby Kansas. 1911. on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:21 pm

The last death in my house was in 1970. I consider that fairly recent.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage
Kansas. 1911.

Postby bofusmosby on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Kansas. 1911. wrote:The last death in my house was in 1970. I consider that fairly recent.

The last death in mine was in 1985,, the original owner.
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!
bofusmosby

Postby Kansas. 1911. on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:42 am

I hope he didn't die alone. We're having a big heat wave, and it reminds me that everyone is asked to check on neighbors to make sure they are ok.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage
Kansas. 1911.

Postby cfisher057 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:14 am

I remember looking at the house and looking at the real estate agent and asking her if anyone had died in the house. She just laughed uncomfortably.... Our house was built in the late 1820's, in the middle of nowhere. I am sure that people died here. I know for a fact that Mr. Couch lost a couple of children.

As for suicide... I don't think I'd have that much of a problem with it either. As long as the house didn't have weird vibes I'd be fine with it. Some houses have that strangeness to them. I still **hate** being alone in my Mom's house and it was built in the 70's. Our house which has a whole history is fine and dandy.

Best,
Chris
cfisher057

Postby Daniel Meyer on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:43 am

Something like The Amityville Horror wouldn't bother me so much.

It's an old house with character.

Ya just tell it, "Behave! Or I'll call in H&G TV and we'll do the whole shooting match! Vinyl siding, replacement windows, open floor-plan, etc."

Walls bleeding? "Time to rip out the plaster. We'll just panel over it with composite paneling!"

:)
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum