dcsimg

"The Computer Help Thread"

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby Schag on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:55 pm

I think that what you are looking at is not the speed of your processor, but the amount of RAM that is in your system.
You're processor is running at the clock speed that it's supposed to. :wink:
Schag

Postby mhodge44 on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:02 pm

No cause it says the amount of ram I have right below that. A guy at work said it has to be a problem with the front side bus. He said I need to get in the bios and change the fsb multiplier. Sound Correct?
mhodge44

Postby Schag on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:05 pm

That sound about right, but we're getting into an area that is above me.
My recommendation would be to take it to a service dealer and have them make the changes.
That way, if they mess it up, you can hold them responsible. :wink:
Schag

Postby BobG on Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:10 pm

Which AMD CPU is it? Athlon XP, Sempron, Duron, etc? What is the MotherBoard manufacturer? (Tyan, MSI, ASUS, etc ...) and what chipset is installed on the MB? Which company wrote the BIOS? (Award, AMI, etc )What clock speed is set in BIOS? ... What is the RAM type and speed? is it DDR or just SDRAM? Does your Front Side Bus have a separate clock setting?

Sorry so many questions, but these are all possible variables for your problem ...
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

Postby mhodge44 on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:31 am

Yea whatever I said in the last post was way over my head to, I ddin't even know how to put ram in the thing. It is this computer with this processor
And I bought this ram for it.
Now for the other questions we will have to put that on hold. The computer is in pieces again. The power jack has apparently broken the lead going in to the mother board. I plan on running a speaker wire from the motherboard out the computer and putting a jack on that. This to keep the power jack from breaking off the mother board anymore. If I can achieve this and the thing will power back on then I'll look into the bios thing.
Just as a safety I just bought an Acer 3004WLCI the other day and it has the same problem. Capable of running at 1.8 ghz and I checked and it was only running at 7 hundred something mhz. I restored it to factory settings since it was an open box buy and it runs at 1.1ish Ghz
mhodge44

Postby BobG on Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:30 pm

If you are seeing this speed info in windows, the following link may be relevant:

Link

This is from compaq's support site. Rompaq's are bios updates. Basically, If you're getting the speed information from windows, it may be incorrect, but the processor is working at full speed, assuming that your clock multiplier is set correctly. You may want to go into BIOS and select "restore defaults" if it is available ... assuming you get it running again ...
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

Postby nutmeg on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:55 pm

It seems often when I'm posting a reply, and hit the carriage return for a paragraph break, the mouse location default is hovering on the submit button and it posts! Then I end up making dozens of edits to keep typing!

I also notice that despite that I rarely make a choice after a post, and don't click - the page returns me to the message I just posted rather than returning to the forum.

Could I have a setting wrong, or picked up a "bug", or is this a default something that I should fix in my profile or forum settings? This is the only place, site, forum is the only place I've noticed this quirk.

I am using an ad blocker if this makes a difference.
Perpetual Student of the School of Hard Knocks: knows a little about a lot, yet knows a lot about little!
nutmeg

Postby Don M on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:23 am

It must be something to do with your computer setting; it doesn't happen with mine. I imagine that is very annoying! :evil: Maybe Schag or Bob G will have a suggestion to solve your problem. Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby Danno on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:34 am

Nutmeg wrote:I also notice that despite that I rarely make a choice after a post, and don't click - the page returns me to the message I just posted rather than returning to the forum.

I'm not sure about the other stuff. I wonder if thats something that is local to your computer. I do not have said problems. Now as for returning to the post, thats a default for the phpBB software. there might be a way to change it, but thats how the other forums Ive been on have been as well. sorry about the lack of apostrophes in my post here, but the wireless keyboard i think is dying!!!!
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."
Danno

Postby Danno on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:36 am

and somebody should fix that link above, cause its super annoying to have to scroll side to side!
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."
Danno

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum