Location forums

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby Tujo on Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:01 pm

I guess the metro areas have more detailed satellite photos. On mine, I can see my house clear enough to know when the picture was taken: probably August of '05, after the new stoop was in but before I built the table for the deck and bricked in the back yard.

Yeah, I guess google gets these photos off of city and government databases and such, so many rural areas aren't covered all that well. My parents home is in the next city, and it is in hi rez. The annoying thing for me is the high rez images stop right on the edge of my town!
Tujo

Postby Mary Alice on Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:04 pm

Yeah, I didn't zoom in enough the first time, either, and my little purple guy landed in the nearby lake! :oops: How do I delete the first guy so I can get back, get back, get back to where I belong?
Mary Alice

Postby HappyInHartwood on Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:07 pm

If you click on your own little guy, you should get two buttons at the bottom of the balloon, one says 'edit' and the other is 'delete'.

I had to fix mine a couple times. 'Edit' is to redo the wording. If you want to move the little guy, hit 'delete' and start over.
Connie
1848 Gothic Revival
http://www.hartwoodroses.blogspot.com
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
HappyInHartwood

Postby Mary Alice on Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks, Connie! Problem is, I found out it only lets you edit once, then the option disappears....I had already edited the first one's wording. :roll: Oh, well, I guess I can be in two places at one time!

M. A.
Mary Alice

Postby S Melissa on Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Well this is cool! I've posted - and I've checked out where a few of you live - but haven't zoomed in more than to the state - I spent a lot of time in africa until I got the hang of where I was - big earf we have here eh? This will be fun!
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby al_roethlisberger on Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:29 am

Well I added our location yesterday, but got to thinking that if many more folks add theirs.... at the default zoom/view, pretty soon we're going to have quite a clump of indeterminate little icons :roll:
Lewis D. Isenhour House
http://www.isenhourhouse.com
al_roethlisberger

Postby saint pauli girl on Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:40 am

Oops! I put myself somewhere in an Afton field ! The correct little person is in Highland, closer to Minneapolis. I tried to edit # 1 and I couldn't get the two buttons to pop up in order to delete. If someone could please delete # 1??? So kec01, you chose to leave our Saintly City? What part were you in? I do so love St. Paul.
saint pauli girl

Postby James on Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:00 pm

Well I tried again and it still disconnected me from the internet. Did get far enough into that time to find that there are no close up's of my house, way to far out in the boonies for that apparently.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby kec01 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:02 pm

St Pauli, We lived in 2 different houses during our 9 yrs there. The first was 1 block behind the St. Paul Cathedral, at the corner of Selby and Nina. We had the northern half of 1 of St. Paul's 2 oldest side by side duplexes. Both had been moved to Nina St. from their original home on Charles behind the Capitol. Our second house was about 1 block from Lexington and Grand. It was a brick 4 square and will be my favorite house of my life. That house was right next door to one of the apartments that John Dillinger was in and where he was in a shootout with the police or FBI - can't remember which. I loved that house and yard!

I liked St. Paul, but better jobs and a chance to return to Chicago prevailed. We left just over 2 yrs ago.
kec01

Postby saint pauli girl on Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:57 pm

The Lexington/Grand area is nice. I grew up telling my parents that I was going to live on Summit Ave. someday. Well, Highland is as close as I got (so far!) Our kids have gone to school with quite a few kids who live near or on Summit, so it's been a perk to go to their homes for play dates. My kids have played in some of those gorgeous mansions! Anyway, we're not too far from St. Kate's, SPA and Macalester. We take our kids to Mattocks Park, where Charles Schultz went to school as a kid. We're also in a foursquare, which was built in '24. It's not very big, only 3 bedrooms and 1 bath. (We have a toilet and sink in the basement and shower curtain walls.) We are just completing our new spiffy biffy upstairs. I'll try and post pics when it's done. Warning: It's pink. It's gorgeous. And I love it!
saint pauli girl

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum