dcsimg

COSTS OF INSTALLING A NEW BATHROOM?

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

COSTS OF INSTALLING A NEW BATHROOM?

Postby mindybiz » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Hello, I am new here and I wanted to know about how much it costs to get a bathroom installed. We are currently having our basement finished off and it is rough plumbed for a half bath. The person who is doing the basement said it would cost an additonal $5,000 to put in the half bath. I thought this was kind of steep. Is this a pretty good estimate? Let me know. I live in PA.
mindybiz

Postby asiedydd » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:04 pm

I'm in PA and know all too well contractors charge different amounts for different locations within the same County. If you're in a desirable, affluent zip code, then the price for a simple project can triple.

That being said, I recently completed a full bath for our guest suite. Since it gets infrequent use, we stuck to simple, inexpensive materials and fixtures. New sub floor, drywall, cement board for floor and shower walls, tile, toilet, pedestal sink, wainscot, chrome fixtures, shower floor and glass door, material cost was about $900.00. If I had hired a general contractor, who would subcontract a plumber and tile contractor, it probably would have cost around $4000.
asiedydd

STILL TOO MUCH

Postby mindybiz » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:23 pm

Thank you for your reply and insight. This is just a very simple toilet and sink set up for our finished basement. I just thought that $5,000 was a bit pricey. We are in the Poconos. I guess I will have to get a few estimates.
mindybiz

Postby al_roethlisberger » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:16 pm

This is an interesting topic, as we'll be repairing at least one bathroom, and installing a whole new full bath.

I know the quote you mention is for a half bath, but my brief research online seemed to indicate the average bathroom install(entirely new) was around $15,000.

Of course, as an average, this takes into account many of the huge modern "spa" bathrooms we see in new construction, as that seems to be the trend. So that probably skews the average upwards.

I am certainly hoping that our new bathroom addition, which will be a conversion of an exiting large closet space(called the trunk closet in our floor-plan), will be significantly less. But I guess we'll see.

In the meantime, until I know different, I am budgeting $15k :cry:

We'll close on the house on the 17th, then we'll know more in a few weeks I suspect.

Al
Lewis D. Isenhour House
http://www.isenhourhouse.com
al_roethlisberger

Postby JeanM » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:52 pm

I had a bathroom remodeled last year, and it ended up running over $10K! And this was NOT for an enormous, fancy, luxurious bathroom. Granted, when they got into the demo of the old bath, they discovered structural issues, but still... $5K would've been way too little, in my case.

Sample of said "structural issues" is below (granted, this is in the 1850, not 1950, portion of the house, but still truly scary -- considering they were "supporting" a cast iron bathtub and a toilet!)

JeanM

TOO MUCH COSTS

Postby mindybiz » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:55 pm

I just don't get it. I'm not seeing the costs here. Is it the plumbing I am guessing that takes the bulk of the price? It can't be the bathroom fixtures or the drywall and its already rough plumbed. I mean my whole basement (980 sq ft) is costing $15k to remodel, including having it painted.
mindybiz

Postby Starr-Point » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:24 am

$15k - good grief! You must have severe structural issues or really expensive taste in fixtures!
RSS
Starr-Point

Postby moonshadow317 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:35 am

We just put in a whole bathroom ourselves. The cost was:

Floor tile 500.00 9X12 area
Plywood & concrete board for floor 200.00
Wallpaper 100.00
Sink & Fixtures 150.00
Clawfoot Tub (Ebay) 30.00
Hanging light (Ebay) 30.00
Fixtures for tub 80.00
Toilet - Free
Labor - around 6 months of weekends

Total $1080.00

Feeling that we did it ourselves - Priceless
Karen
moonshadow317

Postby buildsomething » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:35 pm

You must be getting some great deals in upstate NY. A sink and fixtures for 150.00?? A quality Moen fixture is easily that much.

All that hard work and you went with a used toilet??? :shock:

I almost went the same route until I placed it next to the brand new shower. The decision to heave it was easy!!
buildsomething

Postby majederr » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:53 pm

Hey Mindybiz, where in the poconos are you? I am out in Lehighton and Jim K is probably closer to you than I am. You really need to get several quotes for everything if you are not going to do the work yourselves. We have had several jobs done and the quotes were from one end to the other. Turns out my masonary job was by an older mason who did superior work and cost 1/3rd of what I was quote by others. Roofing, can't help you there as they either know nothing or are outrageous. I personally think 5,000.00 is way high. Joanne
"Without Challenges, Everything would just be ordinary."
majederr

Next

Return to Post-1900 Houses Forum