From the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Consumer Protection Division, here are some tip-offs that a contractor is no bargain:
A less than reputable contractor:
- Solicits door-to-door
- Offers you discounts for finding other customers
- Just happens to have materials left over from a previous job
- Only accepts cash payments
- Asks you to get the required building permits
- Does not list a business number in the local telephone directory
- Tells you your job will be a "demonstration"
- Pressures you for an immediate decision
- Offers exceptionally long guarantees
- Asks you to pay for the entire job up-front
- Suggests that you borrow money from a lender the contractor knows. If you're not careful, you could lose your home through a home improvement loan scam.
|<-Back to Introduction|
- There are currently no articles posted to this section.