Keep Your HVAC Running Safely and Efficiently
Your HVAC system works hard, especially if you live in a climate with hot summers and cold winters. If your furnace or air conditioning unit isn't operating as well as it should, it uses more energy and is more likely to break down. If you want your HVAC system to run efficiently and reliably, you need to look after it.
HVAC Maintenance Tips
- Keep the condenser and evaporator coils on your air conditioning unit clean and free from dust and debris. Dirt can reduce its efficiency, making it more expensive to operate and reducing its lifespan.
- Keep the blower components of your air conditioning unit clean to maximize the airflow--you can lose up to 15 percent of your air conditioner's efficiency through blower problems.
- Make sure the refrigerant level of your air conditioner is at the appropriate level--too much or too little reduces the efficiency and lifespan of your air conditioning unit.
- Change or clean the air filters in your HVAC system regularly. Dirty filters reduce efficiency and can damage your HVAC equipment.
- Check the gas and oil connections in your furnace. Faulty connections can be a fire and health hazard.
- Check the heat exchanger of your furnace for cracks, which could lead to reduced efficiency and safety.
There is only so much you can do to keep your HVAC system running properly. Schedule a contractor to carry out an annual maintenance check, or even a bi-annual check if your HVAC system is in use all year round. A contractor can carry out a more thorough maintenance check-up, including checking that your HVAC system is operating safely.
Karin has worked as a freelancer for over ten years, writing informatively about a wide range of subjects. She has a PhD and a background in education and research.